VMware Cloud Community
pmm649
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare VCenter Converter Standalone "insufficient permissions to connect to "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\ADMIN$"

Hi,

Trying to convert a physical machine running Win 10 Enterprise 2015.

Getting message mentioned in the title when trying to install the standalone agent on the source machine.

Any idea on how to resolve?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It needs to upload the agent using the hidden ADMIN$ share. Can you access \\<hostname>\ADMIN$ from another machine on the same workgroup/domain? If not, you need to check your firewall and server service settings to make sure you can.

0 Kudos
MohammadrezaGha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had same problem when trying to connect to the remote server, Actually it needs copy and install the agent on remote server, Due to security concerns we restricted access to ADMIN$, You can simply establish remote session to the server and install the agent manually by admin account, Next time you will connect to the remote server without any problem.

0 Kudos
PSI_Nash
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have a solution to this that actually works?

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Maybe if you have already the permissions set up. Try to disable User Account Control Settings that is probably preventing you to install the agent.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This will not help. There is something called Remote UAC which is immutable on Windows 10 with very few exceptions.

The solution is to install Converter Agent itself/manually on remote machine.

HTH

0 Kudos
PSI_Nash
Contributor
Contributor

Many hours and many hoops to jump through before this worked for me. Mostly saw permissions errors but also had two 16xx errors.

Setup: Windows 10 Pro 1909, vCenter Converter 6.2, converting a Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V VM:

Disable Firewall

Disable Antivirus

Turn off UAC

Registry: Add LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy: 64 Bit, not 32

Manually Install Agent

Disable 'Use Sharing Wizard' on host

Enable Local ADMINISTRATOR Acct, set a password (on host)

Run the conversion w/ ADMINISTRATOR acct

jdviljoen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi PSI_NASH, 

Thanks for those tips, unfortunately not being an IT expert I don't know how to do that list of things and in general I don't know what to do on which machine.  I have tried to run the vcentre on the XP machine, that is OK, but I don't have enough HDD space to make the VM there.  SO I tried to map a drive to another machine with enough space, which was a mission to "see" the other machine (all otehr machines are win 10).  Then I tried but it fails with some errors - and I don't understand what the log says why.  Now I am trying to run vcentre on the XP and get this insufficient permissions message but from your list don't know exactly what to do, please help, its been driving me nuts.

0 Kudos
JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the many times I have worked with VMware converter, I've always had to log on from VMC using the source server's administrator account and I got past the "insufficient permissions" issues. I then normally have to install the agent manually as it never has worked well for me.

0 Kudos