VMware Cloud Community
hz36t5
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Standalone Converter Issue When Adding Converted Machine To VMWare Server 2.x

Hello all.

I an using Vmware Standalone Converter Version 4.3.0. I am running it on an windows server 2008 platform.

I have successfully converted other machines (XP) with no issue.

I am trying to convert a Dell Poweredge 2800. It is configured as follows:

Raid 1 (OS)

Raid 5 (Data)

Using A Perc controller.

I run the Converter program and everything is sucessful. I then take the converted image and try to add it to my VmWare 2.x server. When I choose the vmx file for this image and click Ok, it shows up as Unknown (Invalid) in the list. I have tried Preserve Disk type when converting as well as IDE type. Makes no difference. I have tried deinstalling and reinstalling. No help.

Am I missing something in the conversion process? Is there another step? The other desktops (XP machines) worked with no issue.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hz36t5
Contributor
Contributor

Update. If I convert the machine to a 1.x image and then use that image on a 1.x server, it works fine. But not when I save it as a 2.x. Really strange.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

using "Preserve Disk type" is unwise.

It only works if your physical machine accidentaly uses Intel-chipset with IDE-disks or some LSIlogic SCSI-controllers - so in most cases it will simply just produce an unbootable VM

0 Kudos