VMware Cloud Community
mwiese
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Converter error: failed to clone volume C

Hi,

for backup reasons I want to virtualize my notebook, so I installed VMWare Converter Standalone 4.3 at the local machine - everything is fine so far.

After I finished the config wizard for virtualization, the vCenter Converter started to snap the maschine - this step succeeded.

But after this, the cloning of volume C started and thats the point the error comes up:

"SingleVolumeCloneTask::DoRun: Volume cloning failed with error converter.fault.ConverterFileFault"

Please see attached log files for further informations.

I already ran chdsk, I checked the system logs, booted several times - all without success! 😞

Somebody any ideas?

Thanks and regards

Marco

0 Kudos
9 Replies
nsolop
Expert
Expert

Are you running the converter wizard with the local administrator user? If not give it a try.

Enviado desde mi BlackBerry de Personal

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

what version of guest os you try do p2v ?

try disable firewall.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
mwiese
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your response!

The wizard runs with local admin account, so this can't be the problem...

Regards

Marco

0 Kudos
mwiese
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP SP3.

I just deactivated the firewall, but this was not the solution.

Regards

Marco

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Some questions:

• Do you have local administration permissions? (-->according to your previous post - "yes")
  • Is your notebook's drive protected/encrypted (e.g. SafeGuard Easy, TrueCrypt, etc.)?
  • I assume the E: drive (USB target?) is NTFS formatted!?

André

0 Kudos
mwiese
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

• Yes, the user performaning the converter process is local administrator.
  • The notebook's harddisk is encrypted by SafeGuard.
  • The target drive is an USB device and NTFS formatted.

Thanks and best regards

Marco

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Safeguard is almost certainly your problem.

If you can, you'd want to disable / remove any similar apps (AV / Firewall / encryption etc), as these interefere with the read / write process.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Marco,

I can't tell you for sure, however I think this issue is related to the encryption. I assume Utimaco uses filter drivers to access the encrypted data. If you (your company) have support, give Utimaco a call. Maybe they have a solution or hints to make this work.

André

0 Kudos
mwiese
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

funnily enough I alread virtualized an encrypted notebook (with SafeGuard) some months ago and this worked without any problems.

This wasn't with vCenter converter version 4.3 but with 4.0.1 (If I remember correct). Perhaps I should try the older version??

I really don't understand these problems....

Thanks and regards

Marco

0 Kudos