VMware Cloud Community
TasmanRay
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Converter W7 Pro to Mac

I just got a MAC and want to virtualize my PC and move it to my MAC to run under Fusion 4.  Is Converter the correct application to do this.  Do Converter take my existing Windows license a place it in the converted machine?

Thanks,

Ray

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

Converter would be the right tool.  As for licensing, if you have a OEM license you will you will be prompted for activation, and you will no longer be able to use the OEM key.   If you have an Enterprise License key you can use that for activation.

0 Kudos
TasmanRay
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your prompt response.  I'm still foggy on the Windows License.  I have a standalone W7 Pro License for the machine I am virtualizing.  I don't intend to keep running the Windows physical machine so can't I just use the same license key?

Regards,

Ray

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

TasmanRay wrote:

Thank you very much for your prompt response.  I'm still foggy on the Windows License.  I have a standalone W7 Pro License for the machine I am virtualizing.  I don't intend to keep running the Windows physical machine so can't I just use the same license key?

Regards,

Ray

If that standalone key is an OEM key (shipped with the hardware and is stickered somewhere on the hardware), then No.  If this key not OEM then you may be able to activate the OS after the P2V.  You can attempt the P2V, it will not have any impact on the source.  Once the conversion is done, startup the guest and see if you get prompted to activate the OS.

0 Kudos