VMware Cloud Community
MTH201110141
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Converter Standalone v4.3.0 - Error 29163

I've recently moved over to VMWare Player and used VMWare Converter Standalone v4.3.0 to convert my old VMs. Once all the VMs were converted I uninstalled VMWare Converter Standalone from the host..

I now find I need to convert one additional VM, but when I attempt to reinstall VMWare Converter Standalone I get the following error:

Error 29163. Could not copy file C:\DOCUME~1\<User>\LOCALS~1\Temp\converter-agent.xml

Where <User> represents my userid.

Things I've checked include:

• I'm an admin on the host
  • I've rebooted the host (Windows XP SP3)
  • There's plenty of disk space
  • I've cleared out the folder including hiden files
  • Searched VMWare forums and the internet for anything similar

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

22 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what is your problem ?

you do not mention what you try to do ???

0 Kudos
MTH201110141
Contributor
Contributor

The clue is in my post:

when I attempt to reinstall VMWare Converter Standalone

Mark

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

try to  delete that xml-file

0 Kudos
MTH201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Already done that. Tried again and got the same error.

0 Kudos
ChandanNuckched
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MTH,

Stop and disable the vm converter service and then re-try please.

Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
MTH201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately there isn't a service to stop - I'm trying to install the software.

Mark

0 Kudos
ChandanNuckched
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, what vmware service is on the host then? none?

0 Kudos
MTH201110141
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Agent Service

VMWare Authorization Service

VMWare DHCP Service

VMWare NAT Service

VMWare USB Arbitration Service

All 5 were there and running when I last installed Converter.

0 Kudos
ChandanNuckched
Contributor
Contributor

You need to stop the agent and can you check the full name of the agent service please?

0 Kudos
MTH201110141
Contributor
Contributor

It's just called VMWare Agent Service. It runs C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player\vmware-ufad.exe

The service isn't running anyway

0 Kudos
Arnold987
Contributor
Contributor

This Error correction In Windows XP CZ"

in XP Registry keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

replace

C:\Documents and Settings\Home1\Local Settings\Data aplikací

with

C:\Documents and Settings\Home1\Local Settings\DATAAP~1

and in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

replace

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Data aplikací

with

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\DATAAP~1

In other language version it will be analogic

!!! WORK ON C:\ ONLY. On another disk ==> installation error... !!!

pjmo
Contributor
Contributor

I've reproduced this with a fresh install with no other VMware components in place. Hacking the registry didn't help.

It actually looks like the installer creates the temporary file converter-agent.xml, then deletes it, then fails because it doesn't exist anymore!

0 Kudos
odisfranklin
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issues and have tried everything here and can't get it to work. Please help.

Thanks,

Odis

0 Kudos
RaWie
Contributor
Contributor

I wonder why some have this trouble and some other have not?!

I just run the actual version 5.0 facing exactly the same error. No way to install the converter.

You will receive exactly the same error code and a rollback is initiated after confirmation.

Any help or suggestions to troubleshoot and get it working is very welcome.

Thanks and br

/Ralf

0 Kudos
johnny55
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but has anyone found a solution to this problem?  Same error with Converter Standalone 5.0.  It looks like it creates the file, and then deletes it, and then can't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

--John

0 Kudos
Goldie71
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John,

I don't have a solution, but I do have total empathy with Mark (original post) - I too have the same problem...

I did manage to get the vCenter Converter Standalone installed originally, and it took a snapshot of my Windows 7 machine no problem.  But when I tried to take a subsequent snapshot, I got an error saying that it couldn't identify the machine properly (or something along those lines).  Therefore, I decided to uninstall the vCenter Converter Standalone in the correct & clean manner, and re-install it.  However, the re-install just will not work because I also get the 'Error 29163.Could not copy file' in relation to the 'converter-client.xml' file.

Come on please VMWare - you must have a solution to this straightforward problem?  My money is on it being a permissions issue.

Ian.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you try something? Go to %USERPROFILE%\VMware and reset all permissions (right click on the folder, select 'properties', go to 'security' tab, click on 'advanced, 'change permissions', and check both boxes - i.e. 'Include inheritable permissions...' and 'Replace all child ...') Check that your account has modify permissions.

Do the same with your temp folder. If it is a permission issue, this should work around it.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you upload %temp%\vminst*.log files?

0 Kudos
adamm12
Contributor
Contributor

Try disabling anti-virus and anti-spyware software.  Superantispyware thought the openssl library being installed was spyware and the installation failed with the 29163 error.  Once disabled the install of v5.1 worked perfect.

0 Kudos