VMware Cloud Community
rbeardjs
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Converter Failing at 99% - Disks Arent Compiled

Hello,

We are trying to convert a server to a virtual disk using VMware converter and the process keeps failing at the end at 99% completion.

The program is spitting out multiple vmdk files for all of the attached storage on the machine, but historically when Ive done this on other machines those files would be condensed to one single vmdk. This is probably the step the converter is failing on as I can boot the VM in VMplayer with no issues attaching the disks separately.

However, I would still like a single vmdk file if possible. Is there a way to manually combine them?

Ive tried using vdiskmanager but that doesnt seem to be working and just makes a copy of the disk I point it at rather than combine all the disks in the folder

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have reported your post to the moderators, asking them to move it to the Converter Standalone area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe I'm not aware of a special advanced setting. As far as I know, the converter allows to split partitions into separate virtual disks, but doesn't have an option to convert disks into partitions in a single virtual disk.

André

0 Kudos
rbeardjs
Contributor
Contributor

This was the video I was watching. There are a few more out there like it and some text guides as well.

However, they dont seem to work

how to convert vmware virtual disk from multiple files to single file - Bing video

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, I misunderstood your initial question.
I though you wanted to combine different virtual disks (e.g. one for c:, another one for D:, etc.) to a single on.

However, after watching the video, you are just trying to change the virtual disk format from a split to a monolithic format.
There are different ways to do this, one of them is to use the vmware-vdiskmanager command line utility. You can find the command options as well as sample commands in the utility's help output.

That said, please remember that using the monolithic format has some drawbacks. One of them is, that you expanding the disk, or compacting it requires time, and a lot of free disk space, because such action basically create a copy of the whole .vmdk file.

André

0 Kudos