VMware Cloud Community
fonfun
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Converter 3, IBM HS20 Blade, Unable to determine the Guest OS

Hi, has anyone converted any server from IBM HS20 blade to VMWare?

We want to convert a HS20 8832 blade (Windows Server 2003 SP, cold clone), but every time the program boots and runs but stops at the selection of "source" saying it is "unable to determine the Guest OS". Have tried to load LSI 1030 driver manually for the disk system but the program said it has already been loaded. Tried to continue using the new driver and got the same error message.

We have tried all blades but with the same error. Boot.ini is existing on C:\ and the system boots from the right partition.

With a hot clone it could go through to next step, but for some reason, we only want to use cold clone. Maybe the only option is to use a third part software (like BartPE+Ghost or StorageCraft), is that right?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
agoel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you please disconnect floppy attached to the IBM HS20 blade and try again? This should work.

I can not tell why you are seeing different behaviors between cold clone and hot clone though.

Can you post the converter log file from cold clone scenario?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
steveculshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks agoel, I tried that and Converter now works fine

Cheers,

Steve C.

Cheers, SteveC.
0 Kudos
langonej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This trick worked for me as well. Thanks.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

don't forget to award a correct answer to the correct response

btw: for those who come across this thread through searches - official KB article can be found at the following link:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1000508

0 Kudos