VMware Cloud Community
TheBigQ
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Converter 3.0.2 fails from ESX to ESX server

Hey All,

I'm using converter to migrate a VM from one ESX server to another one (no Virtual infrastructure stuff). I did it once, and it worked fine. I did it anothr time and it failed:

06:01:50 PM Step 1 : Connecting to VMware Converter Agent on localhost

06:01:50 PM Step 2 : Creating target virtual machine and importing data

06:02:13 PM Configuring parameters for the target virtual machine...

06:02:16 PM Creating target virtual machine...

06:02:30 PM Cloning disk 0...

06:19:12 PM Cloning disk 1...

06:20:31 PM Cloning disk 2...

06:21:49 PM ERROR: VMware Converter is already using a specified source virtual or physical machine for another import operation. Please wait for that import to finish before opening this source again.

Note: VMware Converter Agent logs can be found on localhost at C:\WINDOWS\Temp\vmware-temp\vmware-converter*

VMware Converter Client logs on this computer can be exported, or found at "C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Local Settings\Temp\1\vmware-temp\vmware-client*"

VMware Converter logs are stored on a temporary basis, and should be retrieved as soon as possible.

VmiImportTask::task step "Clone VM" destroyed VmiImportTask::task: Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: vim.fault.AlreadyExists

This machine was originally installed as VMWare server and then migrated to ESX using converter. Then again, the other machine I did the same migration was created in the same way and it moved fine and both had 3 disks! It is working fine on the source ESX server, and there is nothing obviously odd in the vmx file on the ESX server.

VM OS is Win2k3 SP2 32-bit.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Where is converter installed?

You can check the processes to see if they are still running

0 Kudos
TheBigQ
Contributor
Contributor

Converting was installed on a VMWare Server box that has full network access to both ESX servers.

It did work for one server, but it failed on the 3rd disk for the other server consistantly. I was able to manually copy the files and use vmkfstools to import them manually, and that worked for me.

What processes can I check? Converter fails, and the machine I'm migrating is shut down (as converter requires it).

0 Kudos
Asher_N
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying the same thing. Converter 3.0.2 is installed on my workstation. Converting a VM from ESX 3.0.1 to 3.5. It converts disk 0, and then fails at 97% doing disk1.

Any resolution to that?

0 Kudos