VMware Cloud Community
GarthNort
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE Machine crashes after conversion

Hi,

I have recently used VM Converter to convert a machine that I built within VM Workstation. The conversion went well with no error's.

When I power on the VM in the Virtual Center, the machine displays the Novell login box, then BSOD with the message MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUEST.

If I am quick, I can login as the local admin, but if I let it stay on the Novell login screen, I then get the BSOD

The VMWorkstation is a Windows XP SP2, Netware Client.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am worried this will do the same thing on all VM Workstations images....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I do not believe Novell is supported for converter. You would be better off using ESX command "vmkfstools -i" assuming the disk type wasnt set to virtual IDE and instead set to virtual SCSI.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/900 (see moving from GSX/server/workstation to ESX)

0 Kudos
GarthNort
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link.

This may seem a silly question, but does the VM Converter not convert the VMMachine so it is ready to use on the ESX ?

I was just thinking, if you have about thirty VMWare Machines, this may take a while.

Is there any other way apart from command line?

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I apologize but I am not sure I understand the question. Could you provide an example?

0 Kudos
GarthNort
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah of course, no problem.

An example of the situation

1) I have a VMWare Workstation XP Standalone build (With IDE HD drive)

2) I was under the impression, that you just used the VMWare Converter to convert this machine for ESX usage (VM machines to actually be stored on a NAS box)

3) After your links, it looks like I have to pre-configure the VMWare Workstation machine prior to using the converter.

4) After talking to other users of this product, they say you should just use the VMWare Converter and it handles all neccessary changes.

In Summary - Do I actually have to follow all the links to converting the IDE HD drive to SCSI prior to using VM Converter. If this was the case, would I have to get everybody who has existing VmWare Workstations to do the same thing, which obviously could take a while.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Tricky scenario. Converter will work with virtual machines or physical machines built with IDE disks. However, Novell client replaces the gina (logon prompt display) which can be problematic when converter tries to "reconfigure" the resulting image so that it is virtualized for (in your case) ESX. The workaround would be to use ESX command vmkfstools but this command only works with virtual machine .vmdk files built with SCSI disks.

Unless somebody else (with more experience on this topic) can comment, I would suggest giving it a trial run with converter and see what the result is - you might be ok. Otherwise, see about uninstalling the novell client and converting it and reinstalling the client on the resulting VM. Otherwise you will need to determine how to switch these VMs from IDE to SCSI so you can use the ESX "vmkfstools" command.

0 Kudos