VMware Cloud Community
mifeve
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE Converter: migrate of Linux machine error -> UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(vim.fault.NoPermission)

Hello everyone. I'm having trouble migrating a Linux virtual machine (Red Hat Enterprise), it always fails at 81% and the log shows a message "[2008-05-23 11:31:12.732 'P2V' 5068 error] Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(vim.fault.NoPermission)"

This machine runs on ESX2 and I'm trying to move it to ESX3 on another physical node.

Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Linux is not fully supported for converter. You are better to follow http://kb.vmware.com/kb/900 in order to migrate the VM files from ESX 2.x to 3.x. You might want to uninstall tools prior to moving these and then install tools afterwards. I believe there are better concepts built right into VC if VC can see both ESX servers.

0 Kudos
mifeve
Contributor
Contributor

But the url you've posted says to make it with VMWare Importer, and i think this product isn't avalaible, the link for Importer brings you to VMWare Converter...

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes I can see how that would be confusing. Importer is the "converter" component within VMWare Workstation. Thus what is and is not supported for VMWare Converter sources goes for Importer. That means you can not convert/import Linux.

Using the same URL ...

Importing GSX Server and Workstation Virtual Disks to ESX Server

In short ...

1. winSCP or Veeam the .vmdk files over to ESX's /vmfs

2. Run command: vmkfstools -i /vmfs/path/mydisk.vmdk /vmfs/path/mynewdisk.vmdk

3. Create new ESX VM and attach mynewdisk.vmdk to it

4. Verify new VM powers on successfully

5. Remove /vmfs/path/mydisk.vmdk

0 Kudos
mifeve
Contributor
Contributor

But I've made an conversion from one linux machine with Converter... and with no problems. This was my second machine

0 Kudos
Azriphale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just got this on a win2k3 box. I have a couple of possible causes.

1) If we assume that files are copied using something akin to windows file sharing - working on the thoery that the transfer seems a touch slow for a block transfer and it's windows based - then there maybe a character limit on the file/folder names. You would get access denied returned if you went of the limit in normal windows file sharing which ties up with the NoPermission bit of the error. To be honest though I reckon this is unlikely - surely the Convertor has it's own file transfer protocol that doesn't suffer from such irritations?

2) The box I'm converting has a ton of data that admin/root/system/god has no access to. I have no idea how access would work off a Linux file system but on ntfs if you remove access from admin to a folder, the only way you are going to get access is by changing the ACL to give admin access. If you just reinstalled the OS you would need to take ownership then allow access. The convertor could get round this by using the backup files right (BypassTraverseChecking IIRC...).

That's all I've come up with so far. Any one else?

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

But I've made an conversion from one linux machine with Converter... and with no problems. This was my second machine

Linux is not fully supported for converter. We can not simply say its fully supported because it works here and there. Mind you, very very soon linux will be fully supported.

0 Kudos