VMware Cloud Community
falkgottschalk
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE-Converter dies every time at 97% when converting an win2000-pc?

Hello,

i want to switch completely to my mac and so i tried to migrate my last windows-pc to vmware.

I downloaded the latest version of the vmware-converter and the process dies every time at 97%.

The PC runs at Windows 2000, currently pateched whatever is available. I tried to convert for some times, every time same stop.

Here are some more information:

07:00:46 AM Step 1 : Connecting to VMware Converter Agent on localhost

07:00:46 AM Step 2 : Creating target virtual machine and converting data

07:00:49 AM Configuring parameters for the target virtual machine...

07:00:50 AM Creating target virtual machine...

07:05:17 AM Taking a snapshot of the volume...

07:05:18 AM Cloning source volume c: into target virtual machine...

02:57:47 PM Taking a snapshot of the volume...

02:57:47 PM Cloning source volume d: into target virtual machine...

09:35:42 PM Updating boot sectors...

09:35:46 PM Skipping boot.ini update...

09:35:46 PM Skipping drive letter mapping adjustment...

09:36:07 PM Step 3 : Preparing target virtual machine

09:37:02 PM ERROR: Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent

And something found at the end of the logfile:

Successfully connected to VMImporter

Calling DoReconfig

Successfully connected to VmiReconfigTask::task Raising event 4 for job 2 Start managed object method for task VmiReconfigTask::task

Waiting for updates from VmiReconfigTask::task (Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiReconfigTask::task

Got an update from VmiReconfigTask::task Waiting for updates from VmiReconfigTask::task

(Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiReconfigTask::task Got an update from VmiReconfigTask::task

Cleaning up remote task VmiReconfigTask::task Remote task VmiReconfigTask::task completed

Disposing task wrapper for task VmiReconfigTask::task

Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.ReconfigFault)

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

Job 2 changing state from 1 to 2

Serializing job 2

Archiving job to C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\gottschalk.FGEWS4\Anwendungsdaten\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000002.xml

Raising event 2 for job 2

Raising event 4 for job 2

Raising event 6 for job 2

Shutting down VMDB service...

Unregistering callback...

...done

Any hints about the reason?

Thanks

Falk

0 Kudos
20 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You probably should be looking for support in the right forum...[VMware vCenter Converter Forum|http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/mgmt/converter]

0 Kudos
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using SCSI disks? How does your partition layout looks like?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to Converter forum.

0 Kudos
falkgottschalk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for moving to the correct subforum and sorry 4 posting in the wrong area. :shame:

0 Kudos
falkgottschalk
Contributor
Contributor

To the disk-structures:

2 physically disks, each uses 100% of the capacity, formatted as NTFS running ATA. (Old, I know... That's why I want to change.)

Drive C: used 78 GB of 120, 40 left

Drive 😧 used 85 GB of 125, 48 left

No other Boot-Loader, no other Operating-Systems, nothing special.

During convert to vmware no other application has been running.

Any hints?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
victorg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

which version of converter are you using? Did you try v4?

0 Kudos
falkgottschalk
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I tried using version 3.0.3, the latest I found on the homepage?

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

Hello,

4.0 is right there on the download page for Converter:

http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you interested in an workaround?

1. Use a Image SW (I prefer Acronis TrueImage), boot your physical pc with its CD and make a full image.

2. Create a new VM as desired.

3. Boot this VM with the same Image SW used in step 1 and fully restore the image to your VM.

4. Start VMware Converter and let it reconfigure your VM

5. be happy Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
falkgottschalk
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

4.0 is right there on the download page for Converter:

http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/

Hello,

thanks for the hint.

I've done the Upgrade to the current Version 4.x

New try, new wait, new Problem at 97%

BUT: a new error-message!

"FAILD: Unable to reconfigure the target virtual Maschine"

????????

0 Kudos
falkgottschalk
Contributor
Contributor

Are you interested in an workaround?

1. Use a Image SW (I prefer Acronis TrueImage), boot your physical pc with its CD and make a full image.

2. Create a new VM as desired.

3. Boot this VM with the same Image SW used in step 1 and fully restore the image to your VM.

4. Start VMware Converter and let it reconfigure your VM

5. be happy Smiley Wink

Thanks for the hint. Currently, there is the image-Software not available and I dont want to buy new software only for the one task "convert the dos-pc to apple".

(If no other ways is successful, i will think about my opinion again. )

0 Kudos
victorg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please attach Converter log bundle (right click on the failed task and Export Logs...).

0 Kudos
falkgottschalk
Contributor
Contributor

Please attach Converter log bundle (right click on the failed task and Export Logs...).

OK, i do.

0 Kudos
victorg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am suspicious of your destination directory. Where does drive Z: map? Is it a network storage device? What's the file system? Does it support files larger than 2GB. If not, that's the problem. In this case you can change the destination disk type to 2gb sparse disk.

Although reconfig failed, you should still have the target VM. Try to open it in VMware Workstation, go to the disk properties and try to mount it as a drive. If it fails, try to repair it (I think WS has this option).

0 Kudos
_David
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should try doing a cold migration. Download the converter iso and boot up the server on the cd.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
victorg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

First off, there is no cold clone in 4.0. Secondly, if the problem is in the destination, cold clone won't help. If I am not mistaken, the cloning actually succeeded without errors, but failed reading the resulting vmdk in the reconfig stage.

0 Kudos
falkgottschalk
Contributor
Contributor

I am suspicious of your destination directory. Where does drive Z: map? Is it a network storage device? What's the file system? Does it support files larger than 2GB. If not, that's the problem. In this case you can change the destination disk type to 2gb sparse disk.

Although reconfig failed, you should still have the target VM. Try to open it in VMware Workstation, go to the disk properties and try to mount it as a drive. If it fails, try to repair it (I think WS has this option).

Drive Z: ist mapped to a NAS-Disk. (IB-NAS4220-B), which volumes run as RAID1 with format EXT.

I tried out: yes, I can copy more than 2-GB-Files to it, also more then 4 GB. (1-File-Size).

The NAS is connected to the PC and to the mac.

I deleted the files, but no problem, i can create again.

Thanks in advance for your tips.

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DISKLIB-SPARSECHK: 4762 orphan(s) detected

DISKLIB-SPARSE: "Z:\vmware\fge\fgews4.FGE2000\fgews4.FGE2000.vmdk" : failed to open (14): Disk needs repair.

DISKLIB-LINK : "Z:\vmware\fge\fgews4.FGE2000\fgews4.FGE2000.vmdk" : failed to open (The specified virtual disk needs repair).

DISKLIB-CHAIN : "Z:\vmware\fge\fgews4.FGE2000\fgews4.FGE2000.vmdk" : failed to open (The specified virtual disk needs repair).

DISKLIB-LIB : Failed to open 'Z:\vmware\fge\fgews4.FGE2000\fgews4.FGE2000.vmdk' with flags 0xa (The specified virtual disk needs repair).

Error 14 opening disk Z:\vmware\fge\fgews4.FGE2000\fgews4.FGE2000.vmdk.

Virtual disk is invalid or needs repair

Reconfiguration Preparation failed

TaskImpl has failed with MethodFault::Exception: converter.fault.ReconfigurationFault

The new virtual machine is corrupted and causing the reconfiguration failure. Please try converting again or selecting a different destination.

0 Kudos
falkgottschalk
Contributor
Contributor

The new virtual machine is corrupted and causing the reconfiguration failure. Please try converting again or selecting a different destination.

Hello, its me again.

I tried with an brand-new foramatted external (usb)drive.

After 3 Minutes vmware-converter dies with the error

"failed: unable to create a snapshot of the source volume. Error code 170".

shit ... any hints again?

meanwhile i wonder if vmware is the right choice for me to run windows on my mac...

0 Kudos