VMware Cloud Community
gdavid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMConverter Error - Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.PlatformError)

VM Converter gets to 2% and sit for about 1 hr or more and then fails with unknown error. The log shows:

Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.PlatformError)

Attempting to convert a Windows NT Server. All the hotfixes and patches necessary are applied. I am using the latest version of VMConverter. 3.0.2

Attached is the complete log file.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

George.

www.eia.us

0 Kudos
12 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you please install converter directly onto the NT4 machine and run converter using the local administrator. Point directly to ESX using IP with the username "root".

If that fails, generate the entire log zip file

To do so, simply open up your VMware Converter 3.x application and choose

File --> Export Logs

This will produce a zip file for which you can attach to your forum response.

0 Kudos
gdavid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The converter was installed locally. I attempted again with IP instead of DNS name, but i do see the creation of the guest on my ESX server. I have plenty of space on my ESX server and over 1 GB free space on my C drive. Total C drive is 3 GB

I'm not trying to resize anything.

I have turned off all services that arnt necessary.

I ran a chkdsk on all the drives.

I'm logged in as local admin.

attached is the exported logs.

thanks

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Impersonating user MHCBADMIN

Shapshot creation failed. driver=vss

Creating snapshot using vsnap

Vsnap does have admin rights

- Is MHCBADMIN the local administrator? If not, you may want to try it again with the local admin account.

I am also seeing ...

Error 5666 writing to the destination volume

Image processing task has failed with PlatformError fault: 5666

timed out waiting for data

failed with code = 9

failed to receive io reply

RWv failed ioId: #110 (5666) (34) .

Unsnapping
.\C:

C:\>net helpmsg 9

The storage control block address is invalid.

C:\>net helpmsg 23

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

http://vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv302update1.html

A local or remote hot clone of a Windows operating system to a virtual machine fails with the following error message: Image processing task has failed with Platform Error fault: 23. This message indicates a hardware failure error, which causes VMware Converter to stop cloning.

- Can you see if you can image the machine (ghost, acronis, etc)?

Kevin_Foster
Contributor
Contributor

I am also getting this error (error] Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.CloneFault)) but I am not using a hot clone, I am doing a cold clone to an ESX 3 server. I also get the error when attempting to make the clone to the Vmare server/ player format. Because of the type of machine I do not want to install the VMConverter into the windows 2000 OS.

I am attempting to clone the machine because it is having hard drive issues. I was able to ghost the drive using ghost 8, it took over 24 hours, but it completed with out errors, I did have to run a chkdsk before ghost would start to work.

Any advice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
gdavid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just finished imaging the server with acronis true image. I am moving the image to a server on the same network segment as my ESX server before attempting the conversion. It should be done by tomorrow. i'll post my update then.

Kevin, the server you are trying to convert.. does it have any out of the ordinary apps running? or services? hardware?

i also had to run a chkdsk but it didtn take that long.

my last attempt to hot clone and i canceled it. it gave me an error saying \$VOLUME was corrupt and unreadable (or something close to that)

while moving my image from the server across my network i did notice that a running ping is timing out from time to time. the nic on this server may be bad.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Foster
Contributor
Contributor

The machine I amtrying to clone is a old dell optiplex gx110 or something like that. It is running windows 2000 professional. I am not aware of any odd hardware, its pretty low end and basic, p3 600hz with 512mb ram and a single 40gig ide drive. Yes, it does have lots of custom (in house) apps on it and a full development environment. Used space on the drive is about 29gigs. So, it has lots of stuff on it, which is why I wanted to cold clone, so that stuff would not be loaded. But it is also the reason I need to get it off the failing hard drives. Setting up the environment manually on a new machine or VM will take several days worth of work.

0 Kudos
gdavid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

your error is actually different than what i have. you have clonefault.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/618092#618092

that thread has a similar experience. the guy suggests using a local admin account (not sure if you are) also are you using the latest version of conveter?

0 Kudos
gdavid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Acronis image made of the whole server (C and D drive) failed. It wouldnt read the guest os in VMware converter. I then just imaged the C drive and created the VM, it finally worked. I then got a NT error when booting. I mounted the .vmdk file as a second HD on another box and change the boot.ini file to point to the new partition it was on. Now it booted. then i imaged the D drive and restore it to a second HD i added to the VM.

it was a process but it finally worked. I had vmware tech support on the phone for vmware converter and no luck. he said everything looked fine and told me imaging it and trying to convert that would probably be faster than troubleshooting the converter issue.

The End.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

did you have the pagefile set to D\ ?

You can check for this in diskmanagement.

If so, next time simply disable the pagefile entirely.

0 Kudos
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am having the same issue and i cannot figure it out, i have tried to update the ESX/VC and the standalone converter but still no joy. A local admin account on the box doesnt seem to work and neither does the standalone boot cd.

anyone else have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There is a related post here to my issue:

I was trying to convert a vmware server image to esx 3.5. This worked fine on version 3 so i suspect its got something to do with the original image file. One solution as mentioned in the link above is to ssh the files direct to the esx server then convert. My issue is now esx3.5 is giving me permission denied but on esx3 its fine?

0 Kudos
gdavid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you should start your own thread. and post log files converter

0 Kudos