VMware Cloud Community
jamesfin
Contributor
Contributor

VM converter image grab from 2000 server fails at 2%

I have two HP 585 windows 2000 servers that fail at 2 percent with this log. It just keeps running and then eventually fails. Not sure what the issue could be?

Successfully connected to VmiImportTask::task Start managed object method for task VmiImportTask::task

Waiting for updates from VmiImportTask::task (Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiImportTask::task

Got an update from VmiImportTask::task Raising event 4 for job 1 Waiting for updates from VmiImportTask::task

(Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiImportTask::task Got an update from VmiImportTask::task

Raising event 4 for job 1

Waiting for updates from VmiImportTask::task (Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiImportTask::task

Got an update from VmiImportTask::task Raising event 4 for job 1 Waiting for updates from VmiImportTask::task

(Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiImportTask::task Got an update from VmiImportTask::task

Got an update from VmiImportTask::task Waiting for updates from VmiImportTask::task

Got an update from VmiImportTask::task Waiting for updates from VmiImportTask::task

0 Kudos
10 Replies
jamesfin
Contributor
Contributor

Should have added I am using the newest version of converter. I tried pushing the image to our ESX server and pushing to an image file on another server. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with reboots in between. I tried a remote converter and a local converter install. I ran a chckdsk as well. Nothing has worked.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

2% could mean network related failure

This is a generic guide and all may not apply - for instance if you are not using VirtualCenter, there is no need to test the connection between ESX and VC.

Check basic network

• ping from source system to VC host

• ping from VC to ESX target system

• ping from source system to ESX target system

• ping from ESX target system to VC host

• ping from ESX target to source system

Check the port usage (use telnet to verify)

• Converter application to remote physical machine - 445 and 139

• Converter application to VirtualCenter Server - 443

• Converter application to ESX Server 3.x - 443

• Physical machine to VirtualCenter Server - 443

• Physical machine to ESX Server 3.x - 443 and 902

• If you are using Converter 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 make sure you do not have a web server using port 443 while running Converter

Check credentials and privileges

• Ensure that each username can login to all systems (you may want to create one admin account on all systems to simply the testing)

• Ensure the user has permission to create a VM on the target system

• Ensure the user has access to LUNs on the target system

• Ensure the user has write privilege on target system storage devices

• Verify that the user can create a new VM on each target system from VirtualCenter

Verify space requirements

• Check available file space on all systems (Depending on your method you will either need space equal to the selected drive or to the space used on the source drive.)

• Verify that the Target VMname does not exist on target system

• Optionally, turn firewall off on 3.0.x ESX servers

If you want me to look at more I would need the vmware-converter-#.log file not the vmware-client-#.log file which is located in the windows temp /vmware-temp folder on the source physical machine.

0 Kudos
DCOKL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Theankey,

I faced the similar problem on the VM converter as well. It stop at 2 % , and my source server is win2k3 . The converter 3.0 in installed on a local machine . Attached is files that you required . I have check all your recomendation, Basically, all ip is pingable and port is opened , no Firewall turn on on ESX server . And when i check on my SAN, the files have created while the progress still showing 2 % . 4 files created is flat.vmdk, vmdk, vmx, vmxf . i also try to start the VM server but it prompt cannot access the files because it is locked.

Attached is my log files from the source server

Thanks

0 Kudos
nelmangle
Contributor
Contributor

It turns out that the target machine needs to be able to connect to the destination hosts (IP) (at the point if Cloning), so i have had to provision this by adding host/dns entries (on the target) and added an ServiceConsole to the network on which the targets reside... probably not idea (from a secutiry perspective)..but it works.

Nels

0 Kudos
karemabdou
Contributor
Contributor

i try all the check steps and it's stoped at 2% every time in the cold clone but in hot clone it's take about 8h to failed with <unknown error returend by the vmware converter agent>

0 Kudos
nelmangle
Contributor
Contributor

could you provide details on your networking arrangements - ie Service Console, ESX hosts etc.

the IP address of the target server (hot clone) needs to be able to (as i understand it) communicate with a SC and possibly ESX host too.

0 Kudos
karemabdou
Contributor
Contributor

i have vc with ip x.x.x.132 and esx x.x.x.130 and the host that i try to convert x.x.x.155 and they all can ping and there is no firwall between

now i'm try the hot clone after fixing registry and update windows and it's 6% now but for 30 min

0 Kudos
nelmangle
Contributor
Contributor

has some useful information..

i take it the target machine has DNS or Host information for the VC server & destination ESX server?

0 Kudos
karemabdou
Contributor
Contributor

plz explian

0 Kudos
karemabdou
Contributor
Contributor

the converting start to clone the target volume but it's take alot of time and failed

0 Kudos