VMware Cloud Community
Requester224
Contributor
Contributor

VM convert P to V encounter problem

Dear Expertise,

I have problem when try to use the administrator to access the P to V server when connection.  Please advice if there is solution to fix

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-29 at 12.40.36.jpeg

0 Kudos
16 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Converter Standalone area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What happens if you try and access that ADMIN$ share from the Start menu?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Jaylaxmi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Check if steps in below articles help to fix the permission issue :

VMware Knowledge Base

https://hyperhci.com/2019/11/27/migration-error-vmware-vcenter-converter-insufficient-permissions-to...

~JSingh
vExpert 2020, VCP-DCV6, vCAP6-Deploy, VCIX-6, VCIX-6.5, VCP-NV, HP-UNIX CSA, ITIL V3, VMware Cloud on AWS-SDDC, VCP-6.7
visit https://clearyourdoubt.com/about/
0 Kudos
Rogeriosales
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

If possible, ensure a local user for migration with administrative rights in the O.S, that user should be removed after migration. Then try again and let us know the result.

0 Kudos
Requester224
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Jay,

Let me ask for team mate to check this KB and let you know the result .

0 Kudos
Requester224
Contributor
Contributor

My team mate follow the KB but it still not working

0 Kudos
Requester224
Contributor
Contributor

The account has the admin right

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'll repeat my previous question - what happens if you try and connect to the SAME ADMIN$ share on the SAME remote system as the SAME user from the Start menu?

If that doesn't work, Converter won't work.

0 Kudos
Requester224
Contributor
Contributor

He logons on local as administrator and then use the UNC path which is successful. The server is using the Window 2K3 SP2 . admin$.PNG

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

But from your screenshot that was done ON the remote system via RDP, so that Windows instance was connecting to IT'S OWN ADMIN$ share - I would 100% expect that to work when logged in as any member of the local Administratiors group.

That is NOT the same as attempting to make that connection remotely FROM the system on which you were running Converter Standalone.

Try that same test from the Start menu ON the system where Converter Standalone is installed.

0 Kudos
Requester224
Contributor
Contributor

The screenshot is the VM converter installed on the machine and use the admin$ to testing

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So the RDP screenshot AND your initial Converter screenshot were both taken on the SAME system logged into Windows using the SAME account?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should also note that Converter 6.2 does not support Server 2003, it was Converter 6.0 that last supported Server 2003 and that support was specifically for R2 SP2 - if you want to give that version a try you may be able to find 6.0 available for download online (not directly from VMware)

0 Kudos
Requester224
Contributor
Contributor

VM_version and SP1.PNG

0 Kudos
Requester224
Contributor
Contributor

scott28tt

Thank you for your reply on previous question, The attachment screen shot is our Window 2003 SP 2 and VM converter version

Thanks,

0 Kudos
adgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had no luck to find VMware Converter 6.0 or earlier. You could try Starwind converter to P2V Windows Server 2003 https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-v2v-converter. I used to run this tool for virtual and physical convertions. It's a free Windows-based tool that supports multiple hypervisors, clouds, and numerous virtual disks formats. It should probably help you. The earliest I moved with it was Windows XP workstation to a VM.

0 Kudos