VMware Cloud Community
ambe8
Contributor
Contributor

VM conversion

Hi, I am have been trying to convert my physical Windows 2003 Small Business server to a vm. The process dies at 97% with this error in the log "SOCKET 3 recv error 10054: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host". Does anyone know why this fails? Thank you for the help -

0 Kudos
4 Replies
avarcher
Commander
Commander

The error suggests that the agent software in the target has stopped or stopped responding, or something is closing the socket. Is this a busy server? If it persists I'd suggest a cold clone (boot CD).

Cheers, Andy.

ambe8
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is a busy server and I did try the conversion with all of the exchange services stopped. How do I create a boot CD?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
ambe8
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the latest failure at 97%

06:01:12 PM Step 1 : Connecting to VMware Converter Agent on 192.168.16.2

06:01:13 PM Step 2 : Creating target virtual machine and importing data

06:01:13 PM Configuring parameters for the target virtual machine...

06:01:13 PM Creating target virtual machine...

06:02:37 PM Taking a snapshot of the volume...

06:02:40 PM Cloning source volume c: into target virtual machine...

10:16:48 PM Taking a snapshot of the volume...

10:16:49 PM Cloning source volume d: into target virtual machine...

01:12:56 PM Updating boot sectors...

01:12:57 PM Skipping boot.ini update...

01:12:57 PM Adjusting drive letter mappings...

01:13:10 PM Failed to adjust drive letter mappings...

01:13:15 PM Step 3 : Preparing target virtual machine

01:13:31 PM ERROR: Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent

Note: VMware Converter Agent logs can be found on 192.168.16.2 at C:\WINDOWS\Temp\vmware-temp\vmware-converter*

VMware Converter Client logs on this computer can be exported, or found at "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\1\vmware-temp\vmware-client*"

VMware Converter logs are stored on a temporary basis, and should be retrieved as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If cold cloning is not an option or if you do not have access to the enterprise bootCD, you could try simply cloning the C drive and manually file/robo copy the data on D drive.

0 Kudos