VMware Cloud Community
mackinsBNP
Contributor
Contributor

VM Converter - Does it work with Windows 7

Can anyone confirm if VM converter works or is compatible with Windows 7 clients. Once I get it(windows) installed I will be trying to convert a physical Windows 7 machine to a virtual machine. Im not sure if it works or not but would like to get confirmation if anyone knows the answer.

Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

mackinsBNP,

Welcome to the VMware Community Forums!

Officially, We don't support our products on pre-release operating systems. I know that Windows 7 is suppose to be something like Vista at its core, but it is not even close to being completed nor released.

Unofficially, I don't expect it to. When Converter queries the OS, it will return a type that is unknown or doesn't exist.

Regards,

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

mackinsBNP
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers for the response EvilOne I was thinking that would be the case. Looking at your handle I really think I should have come up with a better one for myself, Dr-Evil or HellBoy or something like that maybe.

Anyway enough rambling from me Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Use Ghost or Acronis - then boot into VistaPE and patch manually as long as Converter does not work with Windows 7

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos