VMware Cloud Community
Hernandes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM 64Bit convert problem

Hello,

I'm having an issue, using the Vmware converter, transfering a W2k3 64 bit VM from one ESX server to another.

When selecting the destination, at the choose datastore step, I'm getting this error : "Unable to work with 64-bit VM".

Both ESX Servers are 64-bit compliant.

Seems that it is supported..

Any idea ??

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hp_Bladefanatic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

have you enabled via BIOS HW Virtualization? Without this feature enabled you can not use 64bit vms on the host!

Is this your first running 64bit vm?

2cents

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is supported, the Converter documentation says the following 64-bit guest operating systems are fully supported by VMware Converter 3: Windows XP Professional, Windows 2003 Server

If you are just trying to copy a VM from one ESX server to another you can also use the Migrate feature in VirtualCenter or just shutdown the VM and copy the vmdk file to the other server using SCP or WinSCP and then using vmkfstools to import it and then registering the VM on the new server.

pdmana
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you sure that in the Bios of both machine the processor is configured as virtual compliant???

hp_Bladefanatic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

have you enabled via BIOS HW Virtualization? Without this feature enabled you can not use 64bit vms on the host!

Is this your first running 64bit vm?

2cents

Michael

0 Kudos
Hernandes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Everything's ok !!

The VT was not enabled in the bios.

And I finnaly did a SCP to be sure ..