VMware Cloud Community
atguler
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter Converter fonsionality for distributing source partitions between the datastores in destination.

Dear Support Team;

We are stacked at the edge of converting physical server to Virtual that source system total disk capacity does not fit into data store in destination. It seems the solution could be only distributing the partitions between the data stores. The Vcenter Converter version is 6.1.1 and build  3533064 we use. when I searched in the net and I found that specific version of the Vcenter Converter has the capability to distribute source partitions over the data stores in destinations?  But couldn't find the exact version. Do any of you has an information about the issue? I would appreciate if you could help.

Regards,

Ali Taner

0 Kudos
3 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Ali Taner,

all Converter versions have this capability. Look for the "Organize the Data to Be Copied on the Destination Machine" section in the user's guide.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
atguler
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Plamen,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. I looked at the section you mentioned in the User's Guide. But there is an info message that says "The number of virtual disks you can create depends on the number of volumes that exist on the source virtual machine" at the end of the sentence "source virtual machine" makes me think of that we may add virtual disk only fi your source system is an virtual system. What is you view about it? Actually in our scenario we have Physical system to be converted to Virtual (VMware based) system. So source system is a Windows operating system.

in "Data Copy Type" selection I have only one chose that is " Select volumes to copy". In expert mode / Destination Layout I may add an virtual disk but I cannot save it, when I clicked on next button then added virtual disk disappeared. So from this point of the issue that I cannot continue for the conversion task. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Ali Taner

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

datastore.png

You can move volumes around disks, including newly added ones. You cannot however move system and boot volumes (yellow and red).

Also, if your destination has only 1 datastore accessible, the drop down box will be just a label.

HTH

0 Kudos