VMware Cloud Community
THIRTEENTHSHADE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCENTER STANDALONE CONVERTER 5.5 ERROR ON SLES 11 SP3 64 BIT CONVERSION

Hi all.

I have no problem converting my SLES 11 SP3 32-bit servers. only the 64-bit ones. any ideas? attached here is the log. thanks.

by the way, i have also trouble converting my SLES 11 SP1 64-bit servers. "Unable to query live Linux source machine".

Message was edited by: THIRTEENTHSHADE

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are your machines with UEFI firmware? If so - bad luck as they are not supported (p.19 in the guide). The reason is not the firmware itself (Converter supports UEFI) but the boot loader. SLES use GRUB with BIOS machines but ELILO with UEFI machines and Converter doesn't support ELILO.

If this is not the case, please attach the full log bundle. GUI logs are not useful.

Regards,

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are your machines with UEFI firmware? If so - bad luck as they are not supported (p.19 in the guide). The reason is not the firmware itself (Converter supports UEFI) but the boot loader. SLES use GRUB with BIOS machines but ELILO with UEFI machines and Converter doesn't support ELILO.

If this is not the case, please attach the full log bundle. GUI logs are not useful.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
THIRTEENTHSHADE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ouch! Thanks Plamen. (machine is IBM x3690 x5; UEFI firmware)

So "bad luck" means end of the road for this one? is there any other solution to this? i have about 10-units IBM x3690 x5 running SLES. wow, i might need to start fresh-install them on ESXi then.

thanks.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Well, usually in such cases there is a lot of manual work involved. I guess fresh installing and then copying the files (e.g. scp) could be easier.

Regards

Plamen

0 Kudos
THIRTEENTHSHADE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK thanks Plamen.

0 Kudos