VMware Cloud Community
dalazhha
Contributor
Contributor

V2V

Here is my situation -

I have a 2 node Microsoft Cluster with several virtual servers running on it. One of the virtual servers handles my file and print services - which is the one I would like to convert to a VM.

I have not yet attempted to migrate the Virtual server to a VM, but was wondering if anybody had successfully done so? My intent is to decommission the 2 physicals as well as the other virtual server running on the MS cluster. And although I could install a new VMand migrate the data (might be easier in the long run), I would like to give myself a little breathing run, as i need to decommission those servers asap due to a relocation.

I am running ESX 3.5 u 2.

Thanks,

David

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
S_D
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi David. Have you looked into VMware Converter? It's freely downloadable and I believe it can convert both M$ and physical servers into VMware virtual machines.

Let us know if that works for you and good luck.

Sean

0 Kudos
dalazhha
Contributor
Contributor

I have used the enterprise converter and the stand alone tool to do a conversion of a physical server to a VM. However hadnt tried to do a V2V and was wondering if anybody had had any luck doing so? Either way, I'll make sure and post my findings once I've tested a bit further.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Billiam
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David,

I have used the converter tool many times to convert a virtual machine from for example ESX 2.5 to ESX 3.5 many many times. When you are going through the converter wizard just select that you want to convert a physical server and use the virtual's information for the target. I have never had any issues. Once the VM is converted you will see that there are a few parallel ports that you probably won't need. At least that is my experience. I'm actually do this tomorrow morning to move some VM's on ESX 3.0 that are behind a firewall.

-Bill

0 Kudos
steveb05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can also use the Converter from a bootable CD you boot in the VM you are converting. That way you have not touched your old MS virtual at all so if the conversion doesn't work for some reason...you've lost nothing.

- Steve Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful. Steve Brill Virtualization Junkie VMware, SAN/NAS, Networking and Server Infrastructure Engineer
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Moving post to the vConverter forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Moving post to the vConverter forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos