VMware Cloud Community
pksupport
Contributor
Contributor

V2V conversion

Hello. I am trying to convert a virtual machine from an esxi 4.1 host to an esxi 5.01 host using converter 5.

Both hosts are managed with a new installation of Vcenter essentials.

When I try to convert the virtual machine directly from the esxi 4.1 (source) host using the esxi 5.01 host as  a destination, I get an error message stating access to the host resource settings is restricted to the server (vcenter IP address) that is managing the host. Use the management server as a destination"

So I use the management server IP as the destination, but then I get this error message "the destination virtual machine (IP adress) already exists."

From what my research tells me, I should be able to select my esxi 5.01 host from inventory, but I can't. I just keep getting the above error message.

I have been doing V2V conversions between these two hosts using the latest version 4 of converter, however since I installed Vcenter I have not been able to do V2V conversions because of the above issues. Hopefully I'm just doing something stupid. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much!

PK

0 Kudos
6 Replies
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

This error is expected behavior. Unlike in vSphere 4.x, you cannot use an ESXi 5 host as a conversion destination if that ESXi 5 host is currently connect to and managed by a vCenter Server. Hence Disassociate (not just disconnect) the host from the vCenter and try doing V2V. It will work

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
mcasekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Can you try the same by using Converter 4, using this converter you can directly connect to your Host and do V2V. I already did this and its working fine.

Regards| Rajasekar.N| "If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful"
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

For V2V you only need to copy a vmdk plus a vmx from host to host.
There are lots of other tools that can do that as well.

If you have shared storage my favorite would be vmkfstools to copy the vmdk
Other options are FastSCP , WinSCP, DataStoreBrowser

0 Kudos
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I second the use of vmkfstools for this V2V. Pain-free.

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
0 Kudos
pksupport
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer. I do not have shared storage, both hosts use local storage. Can I still use the vmkfstools for this?

PK

0 Kudos
pksupport
Contributor
Contributor

Also, since I have the Essentials version of VCenter, am I able to use "Clone" for a cold V2V migration? Is there any reason not do this?

PK

0 Kudos