VMware Cloud Community
jjw8053
Contributor
Contributor

V2V conversion without .esx

I just wonder

1. if I am don't have esxi server installed, can I still use the vmware-converter-agent UI to convert VM1 to VM2 with decreased disk size? I do have vmserver which can run VM1.

2. If I have to install esxi server and I only have one server running linux, is there a way I can install .esx server without wiping out my linux?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

1. Converter is not limites to ESX at all so you can V2V with every supported product.

2. Probably not, at least not a supported way.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
jjw8053
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Gerrit, thanks a lot for the reply.

Basically, what I want to do is to decrease the size of the only disk for VM1. on this disk, I assigned 50g of space with only 10g is used.

After I used all the diskmanager -d -k options, the whole .vmdk file still maintained at 30g. Therefore I'd like to decrease the size of the disk on VM1 from 50g to about 15g so that

when I compress the whole thing, it will go down to a reasonable size.

1. Using VM converter, I tried to use the source type as "VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine" but it didn't allow me to specify the size of disk of the destination machine. is this because my converter is running on a linux? (I read the linux doesn't support "volumn-based" cloning) if it is, does it mean if I run the Converter on Windows, I should achieve what I wanted?

2. is there another way besides of VM converter to archieve my goal as far as you know?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos