VMware Cloud Community
JLogan3o13
Contributor
Contributor

V2V conversion failing

I am currently preparing to stand up a new View 6 environment. I currently have two environments: a vSphere 5.0/View 5.1 environment with some XP holdouts, and the current production vSphere 5.5/View 5.3 environment. I am attempting to move c. 10 XP machines that cannot yet be upgraded from the old environment to the new with the standalone converter. About 7 of the 10 have migrated just fine, but three of them refuse to do so. I don't even get beyond the first stage: the converter hangs at "Retrieving source machine information" for approximately 10 minutes, and then fails with the error "Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine". The process actually locks the vmdk file, forcing me to manually release before I can power it back on.

As I mentioned, it is just these few machines, which were originally P2V machines, that are failing. Unfortunately, due to their criticality I can just rebuild them. Hoping someone has seen something similar, or has some suggestions.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

Can you upload the worker log for examination?

Also, can you try to P2V them as an alternative?

0 Kudos
JLogan3o13
Contributor
Contributor

I will locate and upload the appropriate log today. As for doing a P2V, when this was originally done the physical source was then destroyed. They have been virtual only for several years.

0 Kudos
JLogan3o13
Contributor
Contributor

Attached is the converter log

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry for the delay, I was on a leave.

If this issue is still actual, pls upload the worker log. This is the client log which contains no valuable data.

0 Kudos