VMware Cloud Community
grog
Contributor
Contributor

Using converter on older hardware running Windows 2003 Server...

If I am running Windows 2003 Server on older hardware MPI HAL. When I import the server or P2V it into VMWare how can I change the HAL to ACPI? In Windows 2000 I can just go into device manager and change it to ACPI but in Windows 2003 it doesnt just allow me to make that change. It is locked down so I can only change it to Standard computer or MPI Multi/Uni. Basically the real bulk of the servers that I want to P2V are older hardware and there are a few 2003 servers in there. If I cannot change the HAL to ACPI it waits for you to power the box down on any reboot. I definitely need to make the change from MPI to ACPI is there anyway to do so??

Do I have to use sysprep???

Thanks,

Marc

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Converter supports Standard PC and ACPI HAL. MPS HAL may work, but the new VM does not get its HAL changed to ACPI. You can try manually changing the HAL in the new VM to ACPI from MPS, but it will likely render the VM unbootable.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Read documentation for boot.ini switches - you can specify which hal/kernel to use with boot.ini switches.

Test if it works - if yes - rename hal and kernel so that they are used by default

0 Kudos