VMware Cloud Community
CasaDelGato
Contributor
Contributor

Using Win 7 to convert a Win XP machine - permissions problems

I'm trying to use Converter on a Win 7 machine, to make a copy of a Win XP machine.

When I start the process (giving it IP, Userid, Password) it gives the error "Install Agent failed: converter.fault.NoPermissionForConnection".

The account I've specified IS the main user account that has full administrator priviledges.

Suggesions?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

u can map drive (Desination Path) Using administrator priviledges and then try to Install Agent or start Process.

Thanks

CasaDelGato
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I couldn't map the drive. Every other XP system on the net can see the shared drives, but the Win 7 machine can only see the root directory of the shares.

So I just copied the Converter installer to the XP machine using a thumb drive and installed it there. After doing that, I was able to start the conversion.

VMWare certainly tries to make it impossible to select a destination though!

• Can't use a local drive path.

• Can't use my Win 7 login cause it doesn't have a password. (Don't want to change that due to all the Win 7 warnings about what may no longer be useable.)

• Can't use my Terastation since VMWare complains about the same user already being logged into it - which none were.

I finally just created a new vmware account on my Win 7 machine, and pointed the conversion to a public shared directory of that account. Royal PITA.

0 Kudos