VMware Cloud Community
limey36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using Converter for Microsoft Virtual Server

Hi all,

I'm going to be using VMware Converter to migrate microsoft virtual server to ESX. Does anybody have any documentation or good tips before running the import with Converter? Any steps that have to be taken on the virtual server before importing it?

Thanks all for any tips you can provide.......

0 Kudos
6 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I've read you should uninstall the MS Virtual Machine Addins.

And I just ran Converter on a newly downloaded "appliance" of Server 2003 R2. The new VHDs for VS2007 don't seem to convert directly with Converter, so I just started VS2007 and converted the "physical machine." I went to VMWare Server instead of ESX and I told Converter to resize the HD and the conversion worked, but for some reason the HD got resized to a 4GB volume/partition. Weird. I have to try it again but not resize the HD.

limey36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great! Thanks very much for replying and the tip.......

0 Kudos
limey36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having issues running the converter against microsoft virtual server. The MS Virtual machine is powered off. I browse out to the .vmc file from the import wizard of converter and get an error stating that the file is either corrupt or in an unsupported format.

MS Virtual machine addins have not been removed yet but I am removing them and will attempt to import the machine again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
tlopez
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar problem with the same scenario. Converter is saying "Unable to determine Guest OS". I tried running Importer and it errors with "Can't import virtual machines configured with linked disks."

0 Kudos
limey36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found the issue with at least kicking off the migration - it was a permissions issue with the converter not having access to all the required disks. Installed locally on the machine with the proper permissions it worked........

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

can you post the converter log?

0 Kudos