VMware Cloud Community
chrisdouglass
Contributor
Contributor

Use with VMWare Workstation only

I have VMWare workstation only and it seems this product requires a destination server of type "VMWare Infrastructure Server".  Is it possible to use this product (or something similar) to do P2V conversions so that we can use a running machine as a VMWare VM?  Doesn't seem likely though as the options on the wizard clearly require some type of VMWare server product as the destination for a conversion operation...  Sadly.  Any pointers helpful, thanks!

Chris Douglass

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,   The destination can be set as vmware workstation for vmware converter. have a look at this blog on the tutorial and the screenshots.  http://www.sysprobs.com/physical-virtual-machine-vmware-vcenter-converter

0 Kudos
chrisdouglass
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the help.  I just downloaded the latest converter and installed on windows 7.  It does not look like the version referenced in your screenshots.  And when I get to the destination step (step 2), there is no way to select any other destination type...  I've attached the screenshot.  Thanks again,

Chris

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

123.gif

i've followed and simulate as near as possible. i downloaded the latest vmware converter standalone version 4.3  and above is my screenshot.

0 Kudos
dquintana
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Converter works fine for all the vmware products, since vmware player to the last ESX 4.1 U1.

Diego Quintana

Ing. Diego Quintana - VMware Communities Moderator - Co Founder & CEO at Wetcom Group - vEXPERT From 2010 to 2020- VCP, VSP, VTSP, VAC - Twitter: @daquintana - Blog: http://www.wetcom.com-blog & http://www.diegoquintana.net - Enjoy the vmware communities !!!

0 Kudos
chrisdouglass
Contributor
Contributor

I only get that option to drop the server configuration when the source is "local machine".  I'm trying to do a P2V conversion on a remote Linux machine from a Windows 7 box with Converter installed.  See my response below with my screen shots showing the sequence of events that prevent me so far from getting this to work.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
chrisdouglass
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, attached are all the screen shots that show the settings I'm using the results.  The end result so far is that I cannot specify my local machine successfully as the server when I get to the destination screen.  When I do, it can't connect to the local server.  Although, I was able to log in to my local converter server when the converter started up and I selected "Local server"...

Here's the install and usage environment:

1. Win7 x64, destination machine, where converter (with all options seletected in setup, this is important btw, make sure they are all selected, by default the remote server connection lib is not checked, thus clients can't connect to your box if this is not selected.  This is relevant if you don't already have a vCenter infrastructure or other VMWare server in your network.  I do not.  I am a developer with only VMWare Workstation running on a laptop).

2. P2V conversion is the goal against a Linux machine on my local network.

3. I installed all Converter options as noted above.

4. I log into converter with the "local server" option.

5. To be sure the server ports are open and nothing is in the way, I've shut down the Windows Firewall completely for all pub/private/etc profiles.

6. Only when I select (for a test case to see what works and what doesn't) "local machine as source machine" do I then get an option on the "destination screen" to select a VMWare workstation as the destination target.

7. When I select "remote powered on" machine, I get to the "Destination screen" and it only allows me to enter a VMWare Infrastructure server in the destination option. 

8. When I enter localhost or my machine name in that option, it proceeds to try and connect to the local install of converter server but fails as noted in the screen shots.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

P2V of Linux with a local destination is not implemented and not documented.

The wizard thinks only P2V of Linux to ESX makes sense so target Workstation or VMserver is not implemented

either learn how to do it manually - or install a temporary ESX-VM inside Workstation - or be nice to the VMware Converter engineers and ask them for a documentation of the usage of the Linux P2V helper VMs

fastest way IMHO - google and learn hpw to do it without Converter Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
chrisdouglass
Contributor
Contributor

oh.  greeeeat.... 

thanks for the info...

0 Kudos