VMware Cloud Community
MehulParmar
Contributor
Contributor

Use VMware converter 4.3 standalone over WAN

Hi,

I have a requirement here for using VMware standalone converter 4.3 to migrate certain virtual machine across the datacenter.

Below are the details I would like to provide for reference.

1. Source datacenter : Israel

2. WAN connectivity : 100 Mbps (MPLS)

3. Target datacenter : France

Is it possible to do P2V migration over the WAN?

Can anyone share any best practice document?

Regards.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

If it's 100 Mbps, then it is possible. just to make sure that both site are Site 2 Site VPN with no firewall blocking if so please do make sure that all ports required by VMware Converter is available.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

strange idea - it is way more reliable to first create the VM and store it locally.

When this was successful you would then copy via WAN to the new location.

Trying something over WAN that is critical as far as connection-timeouts are concerned is not something recommendable 😉

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is not the bandwidth but the reliability of the connection that is critical, so if you happen to have pings more than 200ms there is good chance the transfer will fail. Unfortunately Converter can't resume cloning transfers.

Continuum is right - better do it locally and then FTP the image.

Regards,

Plamen

MehulParmar
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you guys.

Do you have any document supporting your comments ? I need to present the same thing to one of our internal customer and you know that without any proof customer will not accept anything.

Regards,

Mehul

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Plan A:

- create image locally = very reliable

- ftp the result via WAN = very reliable

-

= time for the job can be calculated

Plan B:

- create and transfer it via WAN in one step = unreliable

-

= time required to do the job is unknown

Tell your customer that you can use plan B but then you need a larger timeframe as you may need several attempts

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos