VMware Cloud Community
msuarezgomez
Contributor
Contributor

Upload a backup remove the original virtual machin

Hello,

A few days ago, I tried to use an initial backup of an existent virtual machine to create a new one (as it was a template) using vmware converter standalone 5.0 into my ESX 3.5 server. I use a new name for the new virtual machine but the process failed. The worst thing is that the original virtual machine was removed from the esx, not from the library, but from the vmfs :smileyshocked::smileyshocked:

¿Can you think of any reason for this has happened?

Best regards,

Miguel

0 Kudos
5 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you upload log bundle?

0 Kudos
msuarezgomez
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I attach you the log of the converter. I can't attach the log files of the ESX because I am doing a copy of the physical disk (to try to recover the removed files)

Regards,

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is not the log bundle but GUI logs which are not useful, need to attach converter-worker.log

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Converter does not delete the source machine. It deletes the destination machine if case of failure.

It may happen, if the source machine files or folder (in vmfs, not VM folder!) gets renamed manually, that VC gets confused and deletes the wrong machine. I don't remember the details, this may not be precisely correct. The point is - does your process include some manual renaming?

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
msuarezgomez
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Plamen,

The convert process asks for a name for the new virtual machine (is not possible to use the same name of an existing VM into the VC), but it's possible that the VM had some manual renaming at any time.

The converter error was "The virtual machine "XXXXX" already exists", despite of that there isn't any virtual machine into the destination virtual center with that name. I can't export any logs because there isn't any converter task related to this (Is it possible that it hasn't created any job?)

Best regards,

Miguel

0 Kudos