VMware Cloud Community
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to uninstall VMware Converter Standalone Agent on Windows Server 2016

I'm having issues with uninstalling the VMware Converter Standalone agent keeps generating the following error: Could Not Stop Service When I check services, i'm unable to locate the VMWare Converter Standalone Agent service which i'm assuming requires the service to run before uninstallation. I have several times of creating the service but to no avail I keep getting the same error. I followed the following thread in order to create the service: communities.vmware.com/thread/605585 K

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to create the service and uninstall using the following command: sc create vmware-converter-agent binPath= "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-converter-a.exe" -s "C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\converter-agent.xml" displayname= "VMware vCenter Standalone Agent" I would proceed to use the same command to create the other 2 services: vmware-converter-server vmware-converter-worker Now that I have uninstalled the client from the machine, I restarted and completed a clean install. Now i'm getting the following error when I attempt to manually start services: Windows could not start the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Agent service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The Service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please upload %tmp%vm*.log files, also check the Event Viewer.

0 Kudos
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have attached the log file as requested! Nothing in Event Viewer was recorded.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is log from service, looks like started at 13:46:40.934(...13:46:42.956) and ended at 14:58:24.529 i.e. running about hour.

So what's your problem? If your problem is with installation/uninstallation then logs are "%tmp%/vm*.log" not what you're uploading.

From the other hand looks that service is running.

0 Kudos
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you give the full path to where I can locate the uninstall and installation logs? I'm having issues with uninstalling as I need to uninstall in order to do a proper clean installation.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

%tmp% is individual per user, run the command prompt with user used for installation and find logs.

0 Kudos
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I believe these are the proper files.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need to restart the computer - service could not be installed and started because it's marked for deletion.

Probably by some manual manipulations like deletion without stopping before or similar.

HTH

0 Kudos
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correct, so I attempted to recreate the service following your instructions you posted in another thread. When trying to start service it errors out which tells me i'm not doing something correctly. The server has been restarted and the issue persists.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You don't need a started service for uninstall. After restarting check the status of service if it exists then proceed with uninstall, if not exist create a dummy service and then uninstall without staring the service.

HTH

0 Kudos
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i've attempted creating the service but i'm not sure i'm doing it properly sc screate servicename binPath= "point to exe file in standalone converter agent" After rebooting and attempting uninstall it continues to throw an error message. Can you give me the proper command that explicitly points to the correct directory?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Try to find vmware-converter.exe in "Program Files (x86)\Vmware" folder.

But again - you don't need a proper and running service for uninstallation, only service name must match.

0 Kudos
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So should the command look like this: sc create vmware-converter binPath= "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-converter.exe"

0 Kudos
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Created the service, restarted the server and attempted to uninstall the software. I was immediately prompted with the following service: Could not stop service. After hitting ok on the prompt, it closes out the installer.

0 Kudos
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to create the service and uninstall using the following command: sc create vmware-converter-agent binPath= "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-converter-a.exe" -s "C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\converter-agent.xml" displayname= "VMware vCenter Standalone Agent" I would proceed to use the same command to create the other 2 services: vmware-converter-server vmware-converter-worker Now that I have uninstalled the client from the machine, I restarted and completed a clean install. Now i'm getting the following error when I attempt to manually start services: Windows could not start the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Agent service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The Service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What's the log content is, event logs?

Do you need the agent service at all - you can convert 'This local machine' only with server/worker pair of services.

0 Kudos
WCICharsWigg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's good to know, I was able resolve. Please view my previous post. thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
mabdulwahab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have Same error. tried command listed however no ouput.

0 Kudos
narmetakv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tired the below steps and it worked

Run the following commands as admin and then try to uninstall

1. sc create vmware-converter-server binPath= .
2. sc create vmware-converter-worker binPath= .
3. sc create vmware-converter-agent binPath= .

SimonShaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos