VMware Cloud Community
acariage
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to start VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Server

Hi,

Just installed VMware vCenter Converter Standslone Server on a Windows 2008 Enterprise Server with no specific roles activated.

Upon startup I receive the message copied in title here.

I've pasted the logs there :

VMware vCenter Converter Startup error log - Pastebin.com

12 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is only converter server service crashed? What about converter worker and converter agent services?

acariage
Contributor
Contributor

The other two services are started in services.msc, so they seem to be ok.

Only the server keeps restarting.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is a problem with your ACTIVEDS.DLL (ADs Router Layer DLL) - Needed to open the Event viewer and Services Viewer, could you check you can open these two components?

POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

acariage
Contributor
Contributor

So, I can open services.msc and eventvwr.msc without notable issues.

Note that in eventvwr I have an event 16397 (an error related to user permissions, telling me that LDAP couldn't answer some AD's request, due to lacking permissions on my local Admin account).

Also, SFC is running right now, I'll let you know if it helped.

0 Kudos
acariage
Contributor
Contributor

A simple 'scf /scannow' ended without finding any errors.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've never heard about such ADS problem, moreover the permission problem with System(!) account, but you can still investigate event 16397 because it's come clue about situation.

Is it possible that some service pack is missing? Converter is always tested against fully upgraded Windows-es.

P.S.

Just recall that similar situation was when the name of computer was equal with the name of user/administrator.

HTH

0 Kudos
acariage
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed I realize this server doesn't have SP2 installed. I'm installing it right now and hopefully it will help !

EDIT: Installing tonight when users are disconnected.

Thanks

0 Kudos
acariage
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for forking the subject in a single thread but... I just realized I could install the Converter Standalone server on another computer and connect to it to virtualize this 2008 server which is not working with Converter Standalone server, right ?

EDIT: I am asking because after SP2 update I get exactly the same behaviour, with same error log "Failed to Initialize Active Directory" (there is no AD on this server...).

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, you can do the conversion from remote computer and installing only agent on source machine.

TWS60
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Acariage,

Any luck with this?

I need to transfer 7 VM from one ESXi to another, the first 5 worked fine (4x Windows 2008 Server SP2 and 1x Windows 2012 Server), but the last 2 (the 2 domain controllers) don't work. I am getting the same error as you. FYI, the 2 DCs are running Windows 2008 Server SP2 as well.

A quick look at the logs (C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs) shows the following error when trying to fire the service up:

2020-01-29T13:46:36.893-06:00 error vmware-converter-server[03248] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] [user,280] Failed to initialize Active Directory

This is interesting this is happening on the 2 domain controllers, but not on the other servers. There must be a reason...

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are many threads discussing Windows Domain Controller conversions - all they says that it's not possible due to different errors and all recommends to install new DC and then transfer DC data through DC.

HTH

0 Kudos