VMware Cloud Community
shanthisocial
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine

Hi,

We need to migrate windows 2008 R2(64 bit) to vmware environment ,source VM is located in Xenserver.

While converting the process its shows as "Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine".I herewith attached diagnostic log for reference.

Kindly check and let me know what i will do for further proceed.

Version Details are given below

1.Vmware standalone conerter version is 6.0

2.VMware standard Edition 5.5 (Target Host)

3.Xenserver version 6.0.2 (Source Host)

Note : Previously i have converted MS Exchange server without any issues in same environment.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The most interesting log - the worker's one is missing, could you find in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\vmware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\Logs folder and upload?

0 Kudos
shanthisocial
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the update.Please find the attached worker log file.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The problem is:

2016-01-05T22:04:38.919+05:30 warning vmware-converter-worker[02392] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] Failed to get capacity for \\.\PhysicalDrive0: error opening disk device: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)

2016-01-05T22:04:38.919+05:30 warning vmware-converter-worker[02392] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] Skipping hard disk '\\.\PhysicalDrive0'

2016-01-05T22:04:38.920+05:30 warning vmware-converter-worker[02392] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] Failed to get capacity for \\.\PhysicalDrive1: error opening disk device: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)

2016-01-05T22:04:38.920+05:30 warning vmware-converter-worker[02392] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] Skipping hard disk '\\.\PhysicalDrive1'

Check for antivirus and/or protection/encryption software which prevent access to local disks.

HTH

0 Kudos
shanthisocial
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have checked following methods , but till the issue exist.

Disabled Antivirus,windows firewall,Symantec Agent,UAC,windows simple file sharing.

Source server is our File  Server,Users may use shared folders for their respective assigned folders.

Kindly do the needful.

Saravanapaul.S

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is no clues which program prevent exclusive access to disks... this could be xen tools or something other, check the startup program and services with msconfig.exe

After disabling all programs you mention, did you restart the machine?

HTH

0 Kudos
shanthisocial
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Finally it is working after disabled Tally services.

Thank You for the support.

0 Kudos