VMware Cloud Community
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install on XP SP3

Whenever I try to install converter 4.3 on my XP SP3 box (local installation), I first get a message about unable to save the .msi file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\somegarbage\... Then I tell it to save elsewhere, and it proceeds up to about 99%, hangs there for a moment, and then says: "Error 29163.Could not copy file C:\DOCUME~1\MATTCA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\converter-agent.xml" and it gives up and rolls back everything.  I am administrator on the machine.  What gives?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

are you running any AV applications (like Symantec Endpoint Protection)? I'd recommend you temporarily disable any AV and firewall applications and then run the installation again.

André

0 Kudos
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

Anti-Virus is turned off.  What else can I try?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In your %temp% folder you should find an installation log file "vmconvservermsi.log". Does this contain any hints? If you want,attach it to your next post.

André

0 Kudos
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't see anything of much use in the file, or any of the other log files there.. They were too big to post so I deleted them hoping to get a fresh (and perhaps smaller) copy on the next run.  They were not re-created!!  There were errors about files not found that clearly do exist, and unable to create files, files that already are there.  I deleted all these files to try to get a fresh installation, but I'm still getting the error about can't copy converter-agent.xml.  It says in the log the file is not found.. Now, I checked, when the installer is running, that file does exist.  Once it dies the file is gone.  I know this is not supposed to be so difficult!!

0 Kudos
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

If I try to log in as the actual username "Administrator" and run this, I get:

Error 1317.An error occurred while attempting to create the directory C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data

Now, I checked and this directory exists.  So what's the problem creating it if it's already there?!?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

can you write to that directory ?
check file permissions

0 Kudos
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

maybe the file already exists ?
try to clean your temp directory

do you have other Converter versions already installed ?

it may also help to extract the setup exe and then run the MSI installer

0 Kudos
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

I already did all that.  There are no other versions installed.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

which version of Internet explorer do you have ?

did you try the extract and run the msi approach ?

0 Kudos
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

You lost me.  I'm already trying to run the MSI that was extracted from the EXE.  I'm not using Internet Explorer for anything.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sometimes VMware setups have problems with Internet Explorer - thats why I asked ...
try the Converter 5

0 Kudos
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

When I signed up for the download, 4.3 was the version I was given.. It also says it is the latest.  I don't see any downloads for a version 5.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/public_converter_50?view=overview

first impression is good

0 Kudos
ldelloca
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Converter 5 is still in beta, you can find it here:

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/public_converter_50

remember is a beta, so use it at your own risk.

Regards,

Luca.

--
Luca Dell'Oca
http://www.vuemuer.it
[rewarding points to a usefule answer is a way to say thanks]

Luca Dell'Oca | vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017, VCAP-DCD, CISSP #58353 | http://www.virtualtothecore.com | @dellock6 | http://www.linkedin.com/in/lucadelloca | If you find this post useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will try it.

0 Kudos
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting the exact same errors w/ the beta.. First unable to save the msi, prompts where to save it, then unable to copy converter-agent.xml.

0 Kudos
MCastelein
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to get this to install by giving "Everyone" "Full Control" in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.  I know that's probably not recommended, and don't ask me why before I was able to write to the files the installer couldn't (I am Administrator after all).. Is it somehow possible the installer drops privledges before running?  Well, it's starting anyway.. now to see if it can do anything useful.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This can depend on your group policies. Being an administrator and installing is not the same as installing as local administrator.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos