VMware Cloud Community
MikaelKorsgaard
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to find the system volume, reconfigurationis not possible - any fix?

Hi all,

I've some servers moved from Microsoft Azure to onpremise Hyper-V. They all run as Gen1 (BIOS mode)

We're moving to VMware and is using VMware Converter to convert them to VMware. For all none previous Azure servers, VMware Converter works great! Smiley Happy both BIOS (Gen1) / EFI mode (Gen2)

With all servers which previous was on Azure they all fail with "Unable to find the system volume, reconfigurationis not possible". What i've seen is that I can start the servers fine in VMware after I see this error but cannot use the sync. feature in VMware. The sync. feature is needed to be sure I have all changes on the "new" servers in VMware.

I've idenitifed the problem. On all failed servers i've the BCD boot image at c:\Boot. I managed to move the BCD c:\boot to another drive on a test machine but can't remember how I did it :smileyconfused:

After the C:\boot moved to another drive, the server still boots fine and VMware Converter was happy.

Can someone help me how to use the utils: bcdedit, bootrec, bootsect, diskpart to move from C:\ to another drive (remember for BIOS / MBR mode!)

Hope to hear from someone ASAP Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try to play with values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist

HTH

0 Kudos
MikaelKorsgaard
Contributor
Contributor

Thx for reply.

I managed to fix it myself - to much to describe by text Smiley Happy

0 Kudos