VMware Cloud Community
KumarRAMASAMY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible

Hi All,

When I use Vcentrer conversion standalone to convert windows 7 PC I am getting the following error.

"Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible"

I am using Windows 7 64 bit PC with PGP encryption.

Please help me to resolve this error.

Cheers

kumar R

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No you don't need to fix anything with VSS because its run for your disk C:

Now the main question: your computer firmware is BIOS or EFI (or EFI running in BIOS emulation)?

Why I'm asking: when Converter try to reconfig machine (the data is already copied) we found BCD information in place where it is stored for *EFI* machines, seems it is fake BCD and the Converter can't deal with this situation... Smiley Sad

As workaround you can locate on your source disk folder named EFI (C:\EFI) and rename or delete it. (if somehow this folder is linked with PGP the better choise is to rename the folder).

Then repeat the conversion.

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunatly these are only GUI logs. Please find and attach the converter-server and converter-worker logs, and converter-agent if you are doing remote P2V. The location for logs is: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs.

0 Kudos
KumarRAMASAMY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Thanks for helping me to resolve this issue. Here is the attached logs from the location you had pointed out.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To check the issue we need converter-workerXXX.log, not converter-GUI.logs

0 Kudos
KumarRAMASAMY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Will you be able to guide me the locate that file? I searched converter-worker*.log file in my PC and couldn't locate it. Can you please help? Kumar R

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The location for logs is: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs.

0 Kudos
KumarRAMASAMY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have posted all the logs files that I found in that directory. (c:\users\IBM_Admin\Appdata\Local\Vmware\Vmware vCenter converter Standalone client\) I am using Vmware vCenter converter Standalone client to convert local host into P2V which is an windows 7 PC. Please help me on this.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Check the following folder: C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs

0 Kudos
KumarRAMASAMY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is those log  files.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The first conversion fails due to VSS error (unable to create snapshot) with 2 disks C: and E:, the next one fails due to missing system volume. What the case is? Is it possible that your system is placed on E: volume? In this case you can't skip it. Try to fix VSS problem 0x8004230E VMware KB: Conversion fails with the error: Converter unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source ...

0 Kudos
KumarRAMASAMY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. In the first case I had a SD card connected with the PC and i forgot to remove it. I have  only one drive which I removed and re-run the conversion. That's where it filed at 98%. So in my case do I need to still fix the VSS issue?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No you don't need to fix anything with VSS because its run for your disk C:

Now the main question: your computer firmware is BIOS or EFI (or EFI running in BIOS emulation)?

Why I'm asking: when Converter try to reconfig machine (the data is already copied) we found BCD information in place where it is stored for *EFI* machines, seems it is fake BCD and the Converter can't deal with this situation... Smiley Sad

As workaround you can locate on your source disk folder named EFI (C:\EFI) and rename or delete it. (if somehow this folder is linked with PGP the better choise is to rename the folder).

Then repeat the conversion.

HTH

0 Kudos
KumarRAMASAMY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great your workaround is great able to convert successfully.

But when I test using the VMware Player i am getting the following error.

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.    

This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.

Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.

(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Player.

(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152.

Thanks you

Cheers

Kumar RAMASAMY

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The problem is on the physical machine where VMware Player is installed. The error message you posted has detailed steps for resolving the issue and additional resources. You can also look at http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8978.

Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to POCEH help me in the conversion from Physical to virtual. Thanks to ivivanov to correctly pointed out the host is not VT enabled. Thank you once again to find a solution on the issues I had faced. Cheers kumar RAMASAMY

0 Kudos