VMware Cloud Community
Flats
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to determine Guest OS when trying to import from MSVM.

I am using Vista Bus and I'm trying to import my MSVM into VMWS. I have tried both the converter and directly from within the WS application. They both give me the Unable to Determine Guest OS once I choose one of the virtual machines. Both VM's currently work within MSVM 6.0.156 and there is nothign really that special about them. I checked the boot.ini's and they are standard, the OS of both is WinXP SP2 with all updates. I'm thinking it's somethign with Vista but can't figure out whats going on. I even went into the My virtual machines folder and added an everyone user and gave it all priviledges. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Officialy VMware converter doesnt support Vista (I think), correct me if i'm wrong.

About workstation importing it, I have no clue.

An other option: boot your vista MSVM with some imaging bootcd (like ghost or acronis or whatever), make an image, and restore it to a VMware VM, afterwards some "hardware" cleaning and you should be all set

0 Kudos
agoel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are trying to convert VM with Vista GuestOS in it, Converter would not work because it doesn't support Vista yet.

Thanks.

0 Kudos