VMware Cloud Community
VMwAlf
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to convert SLES 11 from physical to virtual

Hi!

SLES 11 on VMware Virtual Platform. Trying to convert it to ESX 5.1. First tried to use Converter 5.5, but … got error “FAILED: A general system error occurred: Network error.
Host ... key can't be retrieved. (return code 2)”. On SLES nothing added to hosts.allow nor hosts.deny. SSHD is running I’m able to use NX for remote connection to this server. Well, thought maybe something with RSA key and Converter 5.5 (find out via Google). Tried Converter 4.3, but … “unable to clone the volume mounted on ‘/boot’”. Here I am! Any ideas? Probably I’m doing something wrong.

More thanks, Alar.

6 Replies
VMwAlf
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot. Using sudo.

Alar.

0 Kudos
Browlin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Prerequisites

Only LVM2 is supported

Ensure that the source is a Linux machine is support LVM

procedure:

1. from the data copy type drop-down menu, select volumes to copy

2. click Advance and select the destination layout lab

3. select a disk and click to LVG

refer doc..

VMware KB: vCenter Converter converting a Linux operating system does not maintain LVMs on the resul...

you can do the Alternative method:

You can also achieve this with this procedure:

1) Create your target virtual machine

2) Install a minimum version of the same operating system that your source has (network, ssh server and tar must be available)

3) Create a list of directorys we don't want to include (boot, proc, dev, sys, etc/fstab, etc/lvm, etc/blkid, mnt/yourexternalhdd) and save it under /tmp/nocopy

4) Take a snapshot of your target in case something goes wrong

5) SSH to your source and as root:

cd /; tar -zcvpf - -X /tmp/nocopy * |ssh target "cd /; tar -zxvpf - --numeric-owner"

6) Reset target.

Regards

Browlin      VCP, RHCE

VMwAlf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and thanks!

Well, in my case it does not even start conversion, meaning copy from source to target. Anyway, I need to keep using Converter 5.x to be sure LVM is correctly understood.  But there appear “FAILED: A general system error occurred:" Network error. Host key can't be retrieved. (return code 2)”.

More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
VMwAlf
Contributor
Contributor

I have something like described in https://communities.vmware.com/message/2378768. But, well, I start to think something with network – source VMware
environment is located outside our local area network which is behind firewall, also nat’ted. Maybe it’s impossible to make this conversion to happen.
Destination is here and source is out there. Sorry, my fault. But … as source is VMware Environment … maybe still is somehow possible to make this happen using Converter etc? I mean, to get this SLES 11 running there to converted? Alternative described by Browlin ... I'm not so good at this. 😃

More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert

You can try with Converter 5.5.1. There was a fix for a similar issue with a host key retrieval.

Contributor
Contributor

Hi again thanks!

Did move ESX out of local firewall and set access to source via ip (well, also maybe some network issue, not sure) and … voila, got it! 😃

More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos