VMware Cloud Community
jonstewart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to connect to the network share '\\localmachine\sharedname'

I'm using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone client, v5.0.0 build-470252, running on a Windows 7 64bit computer, trying to import a running Windows 2008 virtual machine (hosted by VMWare infrastructure) onto my local box.

On starting the converter, I "Connect to a local server"

Specifying the source system goes smoothly, though I ignore the certificate error.  The conversion wizard installs its agent and connects to it OK.

For the Destination System I specify:

Destination type: VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine
VMware product: VMware Workstation 8.0.x
Virtual machine details:
    Name: same as source system, as detected by the converter
    Location for the virtual machine: \\localmachine\sharedfoldername
    Username & password: my Windows 7 login credentials, with Full Control over \\localmachine\sharedfoldername, both the share and the underlying folder.

When the converter verifies the destination parameters, it reports: Unable to connect to the network share '\\localmachine\sharedfoldername'"

Investigative steps so far:
- Connecting to the share via Windows Explorer works fine; it is possible to write to the share

- I tried specifying the share as "\\localhost\sharedfoldername", but get "The specified network share 'localhost\sharedfoldername' does not exist."  This was a bit of a long shot I guess, but the form does work in Windows Explorer.

- Have tried with file and print sharing both on and off - seemed worth a try after looking at other posts on this forum

The Help states "If you are connected to a local Converter Standalone server, provide a network path or a local path to the destination directory."  I tried local path "C:\Virtual Machines\sharedfoldername", but got the message "Error: Destination specified as a (local) drive.  Please specify a UNC path such as: \\machine\sharename"

The help also states "You do not have to provide user credentials if the destination location is on the local storage of the machine where Converter Standalone server runs."  However the Next button is always disabled until credentials are provided.

Can anyone help please?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You need to be able to access \\localmachine\sharedname from the *SOURCE* machine. The way Windows P2V conversions work is to install an agent on the source, then the agent connects to the target (that's why it has to be on a network share) and transfers the data. Can you browse \\localmachine\sharedname from the source (but not from where Converter is installed)?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You need to be able to access \\localmachine\sharedname from the *SOURCE* machine. The way Windows P2V conversions work is to install an agent on the source, then the agent connects to the target (that's why it has to be on a network share) and transfers the data. Can you browse \\localmachine\sharedname from the source (but not from where Converter is installed)?

Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you - I knew I must be missing something obvious.

0 Kudos
kecaines
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! It's 2017 and this information saved me lots of grief!

AbhijitJosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

right, it clearly mentions unable to connect to share and it is obvious mate!

0 Kudos
alekman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just had similar issue. I was able to browse to the network share from the client running converter, so I was going a little crazy.  Just realized I could not connect from the source system.  For me the issue was the source system was only using SMB1, and network share would not allow SMB1. (only SMB2 or SMB3). Once they allowed the same SMB version I was able to get the converter to work.

0 Kudos