VMware Cloud Community
Covenant99
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to activate Win2k03 after being converted on VM converter

Hi,

Seek advise or help here on how can I activate the Win2k03 after being converted from VM converter 3.0

The Win2k03 is on a VM workstation. The win2k03 refused to activate through online or phone. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

If the Windows you're trying to convert was an OEM license, many times it's tied to the original hardware. (i.e.: Dell server with Dell OEM license for Windows won't activate if moved to virtual.) In that case you may need to get another license. (i.e.: retail or volume)

0 Kudos
Covenant99
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. :smileygrin:

I have tried inserting other (open license) licenses but still no go. Smiley Sad

Attach is the screenshot taken after login in. It seems to be the same screen if the OS is not activated within 30 days.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Well, the screen shot just indicates that the activation failed still. If you were able to enter your new product key, then it might not be the correct one for your copy of Windows. I'm no expert on how that works, but I have needed different install CDs sometimes when I used an open license product key. I would have expected that if your phoned in he activation, then person on the other end would have been able to help you. But like I said, if the converted machine was using an OEM key, then this could be why it won't activate. One thing I've done in the past is to boot the open license Windows installer CD, then choose to repair the existing Windows. I then entered the open license key and I could activate again in that case. If you have a valid license that you will use for this converted machine, then this may be an option for you.

0 Kudos