VMware Cloud Community
acr
Champion
Champion

Unable to Change Drive Size

I was trying to run Converter against a couple of Dell PowerEdge 2850's.. Firstly Converter wouldnt see the Disks which was due to the SCSI Adapter, fixed this by running the utility to put the Drivers into the CD..

Now it see's the Disks but will not give you the option to resize during the Conversion.

This is a problem as only 9G is used but its a 200G disk..

Any idea's..?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Never seen that before, sounds like you are using the cold clone CD. Is the option for "Select volumes and resize to save or add space" unselectable or grayed out?

Have you tried it using hot cloning? What OS are you running on the server?

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

Correct, we are using the Cold Boot CD, but the option for "select Volumes and Resize" does not appear.

You only get one radio button "import all disks and maintain size"

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

I had the same issue last week when trying to convert a FSC server.

To me it seems that the cold clone CD isn't always able to handle the resizing correctly - probably due to the RAID controller.

After a few attempts I gave up and decided to resize the disks after cloning (which worked without a problem).

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

The converter logs might offer some clues as to why it is not allowing this. If you go to Network Configuration, Network Drives and map a drive to another PC, then select File, Export Logs and select that drive to export them to.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

In particular if you look at the logs after get to to that selection screen, see what the VmiQuerySourceInfoTask returns, below is what mine returns using the cold clone CD on a server that the resize option is available. I'm wondering if your disk/volume info is different.

\[#3] \[2007-04-11 17:24:52.593 'App' 1956 verbose] \[vmiTask,109] VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task\{1}: returning results:

\[#3] (sysimage.QuerySourceInfoResult) {

\[#3] dynamicType =

\[#3] }

\[#3] ]

\[#3] },

\[#3] compatibilityReport = (sysimage.CompatibilityWarning) [

\[#3] "IMPORT_OK_NO_INSTALL_TOOLS"

\[#3] ]

\[#3] }

0 Kudos