VMware Cloud Community
MiliShmili
Contributor
Contributor

Unabel to boot after convert

I had convert out windows 2000 server using vmware converter ver 3.0.1-44840 everything was seems to be OK. I try to start the new VM and i got this message :

No bootable CD, floppy or hard disk was detected.

To install an operating system, insert a bootable CD or floppy and restart the virtual machine by clicking the Reset button.----

Why this happend? Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

How did you convert your Windows 2000 server? Did you choose C: drive and converted the whole physical server to virtual machine? Go to "Edit Settings" and make sure you don't mount any unbootable devices on CD\ROM. Can you just test to insert a Windows CD and reset your VM to see if it reads from it? Can you mount an .ISO Windows image to see test around. I suspect your conversion process is corrupted or your OS is not functioning correctly.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

"The Power of Knowledge"

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You are using a product 2 versions old. Please obtain version 3.0.2-u1 from www.vmware.com/downloads/converter/

Chances are it is either a weird bug addressed in the newer releases of converter or you might be converting dynamic disks?

Can you post the vmware-converter-#.log file along with a screenshot of diskmanagement (in full view)?

0 Kudos
MiliShmili
Contributor
Contributor

What about dynamic disks? The server has mirror disks(software), This could be the problem??

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you have the OS on the mirred disks, yes. If not, converter will colapse the mirror from dynamic disk to basic disk and it will still function as expected (providing data).

0 Kudos
MiliShmili
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the system is on the mirrored disks. Is it possible to create an image using acronis and to restore it on a new VM? or anyone have other idea.

0 Kudos