VMware Cloud Community
MaxBurn
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu P2V: kernel panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown-block 0,0

I have a 16.04LTS running on an intel NUC that seems happy there. I'm trying to P2V to my ESXi6.5u1 machine. The machine is up to date with apt-get update etc. Conversion seems to go fine though I did make the memory and disk sizes a little smaller, but still way bigger than it needs. Booting that VM gets me kernel panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown-block 0,0.

Tried to boot advanced options and it shows one for upstart and another for recovery mode. They all boot to the same error. Following some guides online I hit C to go to command line and for example "df -h" results in error: can't find command 'df'. Every command I'm finding online to troubleshoot this is not found.

What should I do?

Other things I have tried:

Deleted the VM and converted it again, only this time selecting SATA disks instead of the suggested SCSI, which would match the source machine. Same exact problem.

Third time through I found a warning message about resizing boot, set that to the same size but still got same error.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ubdTOoc.png[/img]

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Amenophisphp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Boot your virtual machine on a ubuntu 16.04 ISO

Start in rescue mode

after the configuration screens, select your root lvm partition

launch a shell on this partition

execute 'update-iniramfs -u'

execute 'update-grub'

type 'exit'

and reboot your machine.

Yours,

TheRegP
Contributor
Contributor

I just stepped through booting my vm by the ubuntu 16.04.5 ISO. Successfully got to rescue mode. However when trying to execute this command on the vg/root file system it errors saying "update-iniramfs: not found".

Any help or isight would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
d3photodotcom
Contributor
Contributor

OC has a typo. It's update-initramfs

0 Kudos
sanckichi
Contributor
Contributor

I had same experience.

I tried below.

When convert, I selected "To basic".

I succeeded.

"[Options][Data to copy]Advanced--->

Destination layout

--->「To basic」

0 Kudos
kjack2020
Contributor
Contributor

Perfect! This just saved me 😉 Thank you!

0 Kudos
Mahmoud-ahmed
Contributor
Contributor

i need more details Please

0 Kudos
Mahmoud-ahmed
Contributor
Contributor

i need more details please

0 Kudos
Mahmoud-ahmed
Contributor
Contributor

how to start rescue mode

0 Kudos
shaokat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

P2V using vCenter Converter.? I face the same issue and am unable to solve the issue

In my case, I use Veeam for conversion. you can also try veritas backup exce or nakivo.

Shaokat

https://www.linkedin.com/in/shaokat-ullaha/
0 Kudos