VMware Cloud Community
joepitt91
Contributor
Contributor

[URGENT] FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code: 2147754754 (0x80042302).

help: see attached documents.

i know the OS it not officially supported, but i need to convert this machine.

i have no idea now much info is in the diagPack to

local machine conversion to vmware server 2.x

-DESTINATION-

CPUs: 2

RAM: 1024

1 hard drive 50GB

2 NICs both bridged.

251GB free of destination disk

ERROR-

FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code: 2147754754 (0x80042302).

0 Kudos
30 Replies
mgroen01
Contributor
Contributor

I get the following error message, trying to convert my phyical Windows7 64bit into virtual, using Converter 4.0.1 :

FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code:

2147754754 (0x80042302).

Is there already a solution, for this issue? Possible update/fix for Converter?

How about any workaround?

BR,

M. Groen

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Is there already a solution, for this issue? Possible update/fix for Converter? How about any workaround?

Did you READ the ENTIRE thread? It's all RIGHT there..

0 Kudos
defaria
Contributor
Contributor

What worked for me was to use Mark Russinivich's disk2vhd then Starwind Converter (there are two of them: a v2d and a v2v - Don't remember which one eventually worked). Then use vmplayer 3.x to create a new VM and add the converted vmdk file.

My problem was that the image I was converting used Grub as a boot loader and when you take the vmdk and create a Windows VM but it still has a Grub bootloader, well it gets all confused. I had to reinstall another version of Windows 7 which redid the boot loader in the VM. Not pretty.

0 Kudos
dead2me
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a quick hit for all of you,

I tried to P2V a 2008R2 server into ESX4.1 with the VMware Standalone Converter installed locally on the box, and received the same stink-eye that all of you did.

So.. as the VMware converter supports StorageCraft's ShadowProtect image files, I was going to simply image it with ShadowProtect, and then use VMWare Converter 4.01 to import that into the ESX server. So being the curious individual that I am, I installed ShadowProtect which requires a reboot. Before rebooting though, I ran the converter again, and shebang, the box converted just fine. It has to be something to do with VSS I would think, and I will figure that out later.

So for any of you wishing to streamline the process, try that.

BTW, ShadowProtect is a pretty dandy product I must say, and no I don't work for them, so give it a shot and see if it helps you out. You can use the eval version to see if it takes care of it for you.

As to why it resolves the issue, I have not gone through the changes it makes the OS to determine what flipped the bit enabling it to succeed. I did work through all of the VSS components to ensure that they were started and functional with no luck. Shadowprotect changes something, allowing the converter to succeed. After it converted, I removed the ShadowProtect software, and moved on, again with no reboot to the source box.

0 Kudos
Wolftrap
Contributor
Contributor

dead2me that worked a total treat.

I installed Shadowprotect then ran the converter and it converted straight away.

Thanks for the info!!!

0 Kudos
buergie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

The solution from dead2me also worked for me. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
longroy
Contributor
Contributor

This now appears to be fixed with the latest version of the vmware vcenter converter standalone (4.3).

I've been fighting with this for over a week now - looked for an update and one was released on 30-AUG-2010 v4.3 I installed this and its running as I write this. Saving the bootcamp windows 7 from my macbook to our vSphere vCenter server.

try it and see if it works for you now too.

0 Kudos
KeithE
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was having the exact same issue, but since I installed 4.3 of the converter it has cured the problem completely, although I seem to still have slight issues where it isn't recognising the hard drives installed on the physical, but installing the converter locally has circumvented that separate issue.

Regards,

Keith

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
sudhakar13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have encountered the same error when i try converting the Physical machine.

What I did to resolve this issue.

Uninstall and re install the Converter Latest version. Install converter server and agent.

Disconnect /unplug all the external devices from my system like USB.

Run the services like

1. Com+

2. Computer Browser

3. Microsoft Software shadow copy provider

4. VMware shadow copy provider

Make sure that your system contain at least one FAT32 file system. NTFS is must. You can't convert hot clone WINDOWS 2008 R2 Server. I didn't try that. You can try.

Make sure that you have enough space to convert.

Now try converting your machine to VM.

if the issue persists, pls get back to me.

Thanks

S.Sudhakar

0 Kudos
viyu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It is only necessary to download the last version of VMware vCenter (at this moment is 4.3.0) to skip this issue.

Take care!

0 Kudos