VMware Cloud Community
joepitt91
Contributor
Contributor

[URGENT] FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code: 2147754754 (0x80042302).

help: see attached documents.

i know the OS it not officially supported, but i need to convert this machine.

i have no idea now much info is in the diagPack to

local machine conversion to vmware server 2.x

-DESTINATION-

CPUs: 2

RAM: 1024

1 hard drive 50GB

2 NICs both bridged.

251GB free of destination disk

ERROR-

FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code: 2147754754 (0x80042302).

0 Kudos
30 Replies
niklassaersds
Contributor
Contributor

Same error, wanting to switch from Parallels to VMWare Fusion since my team mates use Fusion.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You want to take an snap and after that you want to make a clone out of this?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

Coldclone it or make the snapshot with a 3.rd party backup tool in which image format is supported by converter. It might need some manual tweaking afterwards.

0 Kudos
Steefozo
Contributor
Contributor

I've been working hard to convert my T61 Windows 7 64-bit to a vmware (I tried station and server) ,,, I used Vmware Vcenter Stanalone v4 , and Vmware converter starter v 3.03 , I've tried localy and from a remote server , I changed destination from USB to a network maped driver ,,,, I've removed all security settings (HDD protection from BIOS ) ,,, I've tried converting it form Acronis Image ,,,, I tried also coldclone 3 ,,, I've searched all threads looking for a solution ,,, All these efforts has gone to vain ,,,, the same notebook has Windows 7 32-bit version installed and I was able to convert it even I was able to recover it form Acronis Image ,, SO I came to a conclusion that windows 7 64-bit is not supported or it has something else ( I was able to convert windows 2008 SP2 - 64bit holding excange server to a vmware server (ESXi and server 2 ) and working perfectly ..

the error mesaage which I got is : FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code:

2147754754 (0x80042302).

the log files doesn't show anything usefull ,,,

Any idea will be appreicated ,,,,

0 Kudos
comerco
Contributor
Contributor

same issue...they say its not support by the actual converter...the last build is from 2009...about time they update it !

0 Kudos
defaria
Contributor
Contributor

I find it hard to believe that the converter just doesn't work for Windows 7 64bit. I would think that is a pretty common and popular machine/OS . Is there no solution for this problem? I have the same problem. If I attempt to convert the local machine and store the image on the local machine it quickly fails with "Unable to create VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code 2147754754 (0x80024302)" and if I instead put the image over the network it chugs away for 2 and 1/2 hours writing like 60Gig of data then failes with the same error message.

0 Kudos
grafsolutions
Contributor
Contributor

I've run into this with Converter 4.1 converting a phisical Server2008X64-R2 into ESXi 4.0 U1. The event viewer logs Event IDs 22 and 8193 on the source machine.

EventID 22:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is .

Operation: Instantiating VSS server

Which leads me to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee264219(WS.10).aspx

(summary: check that COM+ Event is started and test System Restore and manual shadow copy test)

Event ID 8193:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered.

Operation: Instantiating VSS server

leads me to

(summarh: check that Volume Shadow Copy Service is set to Manual)

Both recommended checks work fine with no errors in the Event Log. My suspicion is a 32-bit component of Converter is trying to run VSS on x64, but I don't have anything to back it up. I'm going to keep digging, just wanted to let people know this happens with Server 2008 R2 x64 in addition to Windows 7.

0 Kudos
jhastain
Contributor
Contributor

So i found a workaround. if you change the machine type to windows server 2003 64-bit and then convert it, then change it back it works.

I am converting a VM to another VM. I have not tried from a physical machine yet.

0 Kudos
defaria
Contributor
Contributor

Care to explain exactly how you're doing this because I see no option for this at all...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

that trick only works for V2V - obviously it does not help for P2V

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
grafsolutions
Contributor
Contributor

(correction - I'm using Converter 4.0.1, not 4.1 as I noted above)

Looks like M$ changed the VSS code for Vista/Windows7/Server 2008:

"To use new interfaces specific to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, recompile using the VSS headers and libraries included in the Platform SDK for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008."

In lieu of 3rd party backup and/or virtualization software we may be at the mercy of VMware for an update to Converter to use P2V for these editions

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

for hotclones of windows 7 or 2008 the sysinternals tool disk2vhd works fine - I would use that one instead of waiting for an updated Converter

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
grafsolutions
Contributor
Contributor

I've used the disk2vhd, but couldn't get Converter to recognize the .VHD file, only .VMC. For this I tried using the free StarWind converter (here), which successfully created a .VMDK file after several hours, but I couldn't get Sphere (ESXi 4) to load it without a .VMX file

I must be missing a step...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

creating a vmx-file is the easiest part of the job - see

http://sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html

That describes several possible roads to P2V Windows 7 or 2008 without the need of using Converter.

The procedures involve some manual work but they are reliable ...

0 Kudos
grafsolutions
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip, I was able to get it to work without any .VMX configuration changes nor did I need the R2 recovery CD.

Here's how I got it to work:

I uploaded the two files StarWind creates to the Datastore and created a new VM using defaults. The bonehead step I was missing was on the last step of VM creation - I had to tell it to 'use an existing virtual disk' and point it to the .VMDK I uploaded. Once I did that it came right up. It auto-detected hardware changes on first startup, required a reboot and I was up and running.

NOTE: Be sure you select 'edit settings upon completion' and disconnect your NIC if the machine you cloned is still powered on!

Despite the several-hours of conversion and upload, the process is surprisingly smooth. I'd still prefer to use Converter, but this works in the meantime.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That was pure luck.

In most cases you will have to adjust the startup settings of the scsi - or ide controller.

Only if the source used the same type of Controller this may work without registry patching

0 Kudos
grafsolutions
Contributor
Contributor

May be for others, but I went from an ASUS onboard IDE controller (custom build) to a Dell PowerEdge 2900 running SAS6iR. I too have a hard time believing a M$ product worked on the first try. :smileycool:

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Asus boards with Intel-chipsets migrate easy Smiley Wink

I guess you also used IDE for the VM

0 Kudos
grafsolutions
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct, and in that regard luck WAS involved - the default setting on the New VM wizard is IDE. A good thought to keep in mind for future conversions.

0 Kudos