VMware Cloud Community
Hemmy
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to convert physical SBS2003 Server - fails at 97%

I'm trying to covert a physical SBS 2003 R2 Server using the latest version of Converter to a VMWare Workstation 5.x vm to an external USB 2.0 hard disk and it always fails at 97%. I get the following:

10:33:08 PM Step 3 : Preparing target virtual machine

10:33:49 PM ERROR: Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent

I've attached the log file. Any ideas why this keeps happneing? I've tried it about 4 times now and it always fails at 97%. I ran VMWare Converter on my XP Pro laptop to the same external USB 2.0 hard disk and it completes successfully.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ....

Hemmy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

two things,

Firstly is this a redo of a failed convert? the reason i ask is this line

Setting imported VM spec for a job that has not succeeded

people have has sucess by clearing out all history from the converter and trying again.

secondly

Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.ReconfigFault)

try these:

1. Find another computer running the same operating system and service packs.

2. Copy the "%windir%\Driver Cache" directory into the same location.

Also what are the sizes of your Disks in the physical machine, you could be having an issue with VMDK file limits caused by VMFS block sizes. ie: if the volume is formated with default settings the maximum size VMDK allowed is 256GB.

block size to VMDK size: 1mb - 256GB

2mb - 512GB

4mb - 1024GB

8GB - 2048GB

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Reconfig fault errors not not contained in the client logs. We need to see the agent logs

vmware-converter.log is available in the Source Physical Machine OS’s temp directory (C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-temp)

0 Kudos
Hemmy
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I think I've attached the correct log file ....

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can't create undo folder

Cleaning up temp directory D:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-temp\vmware-SYSTEM\sysReconfig ...

Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.FileCreateError

SetState to error

From what I have seen SBS servers are not supported for converter. They have AD and other components that are not migration friendly. This error could be from a multiple of reasons based on the particulars of converting an SBS server.

This error is normally due to a diagnostic partition (which was then later fixed in version 3.0.1). However your machine does not have such a partition. I can only suggest running converter's "configure machine" wizard on this non-bootable VM and prey it works otherwise your only alternative is to rebuild this server. That is unless somebody else can comment on a workaround.

0 Kudos
lholling
Expert
Expert

You could always try the old fashion way. Backup the machine using Ghost / Acronis (or whatever your favourite imaging program is), restore to the VM Workstation VM and then use Converter on the VM to reconfigure it.

Failing that you can just backup and restore with Ghost / Acronis and then use the links on the following url to"inject" the correct disk driver into the VM so that when it boots it does not blue screen.

http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/?page_id=174

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points
0 Kudos