VMware Cloud Community
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to convert an Enterprise Linux 4 box....

I'm trying to convert a physical ES4 Linux box to a VM and I'm having some problems. I also have a license file for the Enterprise Converter but I don't see where to put this in Vsphere. It seems like in Vsphere you are just supposed to have a new key and then that will unlock the Enterprise Converter. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

And if that won't work...how can I get a download for the boot CD to make the VM out of the physical box like they're talking about in this article?

http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/2007/05/virtualize-linux-server-with-vmware.html

I've tried with the standalone converter 4.0.1 and when I put in the IP and root login for the box it just says "unable to query the live Linux source machine".

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

okay, I found the download for the enterprise and got the key in there, but now I get the "An operation against the remote machine failed due to lack of permissions"

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you sure the firewall on ES4 is not blocking converter 4 from query the source machine? Else double check whether your source machine accepting ssh root access.

And Check this KB

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

I can login with just the root account and password but it's still giving me that "unable to connect with Microsofts Network services". This is a RHEL 4 box so I don't think that will work, but how can I get a linux box converted? I thought the Enterprise version was supposed to be able to do this....

0 Kudos
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

At least I thought I could login with the root account. I tried and it gave me "Connection refused" but I had gone in to the sshd_config and set the allowrootlogin to yes. Is there something else I'm missing?

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There you go! you should able to gather virtual machine details now..

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

I have it set to 'yes' but it's still denying it, it appears.

0 Kudos
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

okay, I commented out some other lines for authentication that were active and then restarted the sshd service again and I can open the ssh from the linux box now. I'll give it another shot with the converter.

0 Kudos
wlandymore
Contributor
Contributor

I couldn't do it with the enterprise verson because it still fails with a message about trying to use a Microsoft Service, but when I used the stand alone version I can specify Linux as the OS and it seems to be working. I don't know how the machine will turn out after, but at least the tool is working. I just thought the Enterprise one would support Linux more than the stand alone one.

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

When you say enterprise Converter I assume you mean the 3.0X Enterprise edition. This is an older version of Converter, the Standalone 4.01 version has everything that the Enterprise version did, except for {NT support, Cold Clone CD, CLI client}.

As for the VC-integrated version of Converter, this is also an older version of Converter -- yes, even the Converter that is part of VC 4.0 is older technology than Standalone 4.01.

Since the Linux P2V feature was added in Standalone 4.0, this means that you need to be using Standalone to perform it.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos