VMware Cloud Community
PhSLU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VSS snapshots cannot be stored because there is not enough space on the source

Hello, 

We are stuck trying to convert a Windows Server 2019 with the error message in subject.

This machine as 1 disk, 3 partition (Standard UEFI Based PC ) : System ( 256MB ) MSR ( 15 MB ) Windows (the rest of the disk).

In the events of the machine we get : "volume shadow copy error cannot find diff areas for creating shadow copies system partition"

We found suggestion (Link) to resize the 'system partition' but this is not an option anymore in 2019 as you cannot attribute a drive letter .

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@PhSLU 

First of all: When you Convert machines use as destination an external Sorage. (Not Internal!)
And run VMConverter on machine itself, not Remote Connections (not see how you will run the converter inside of your post)

On my Server 2019 i have 4 partitions not 3. -> SV-2019-1.JPG, SV-2019-2.JPG
Mostly there is an issue within the Free Disk space

Run as Admin: "vssadmin list shadowstorage" with out " -> see SV-2019-3.JPG

Best way to Convert Servers are, disable and delete VSS bevore Convert, if this will no option for you, you can Resize the VSS Storages, or setup to "No Limit" (Explorer>Configure Shadow Copy>Setting>choose "No Limit")
see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/vssadmin 

0 Kudos
PhSLU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your quick reply.

We were trying a Remote Connections (preferable for us), but on you suggestion we tested also converter on the machine itself. Unfortunately, not better results 

Find here the vssadmin command results (vssadmin.jpg) as well as our disk layout and details (DiskLayout.jpg)

0 Kudos
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@PhSLU 

Thanks reply.

I See you have Bitlocker Enabled and running, this is an Known Issue.
Could you Remove it, and Disable. (also i see an Issue with Partitions of Server: Missing one Partition)

From VMWare Website:
When a physical source server contains certain device drivers that are dependent on hardware, which are then virtualized, it may prevent the resulting virtual machine from starting correctly (as the hardware is no longer present).

Some applications, drivers, and utilities have known issues when they are installed in virtualized environments, but may work correctly on the source physical server.

Remove the following kinds of software prior to running VMware Converter on the source server:

Hardware specific software:
* Hardware-specific recovery tools or drivers
- Some RAID management software (Intel Matrix RAID)
- Software that installs hardware-dependent MBRs (Compaq proprietary software BIOS, some system recovery utilities)
- IBM Open Systems Adapter (OSA) IPMI device driver (ipmi.sys)
- Certain versions of IBM Director (twgsysin.sys)
- usbsp.sys
- SCSIPORT.SYS provided by Microsoft Windows 2000 SRP1 version 1
- Bitlocker

* Software used to manage disks below the operating system
- Disk overlays (Ontrack Disk Manager, EZDrive)
- Disk roll-back software (Norton GoBack, Deep Freeze)
- Disk compression (DriveSpace/DoubleSpace)
- Disk encryption (DriveLock, DriveCrypt)
- Applications with known issues:
- Symantec pcAnywhere
- Microsoft Virtual PC Additions (virtual machines only)
- UPS Software. This has been known to cause issues after Conversion.

Source: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1006626 
(C)opyright © 2022 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
PhSLU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

where do you see 'Issue with Partitions of Server: Missing one Partition' ?

The KB you link to is related to issue 'After converting a physical machine using VMware Converter' .. we cannot even start the conversion.

Remark: we are using P2V but in fact our source is a VM running on Hyper-V. Just we do not have the possibility of installing the Agent on Hyper-V and we want to minimize downtime (for an Hyper-V conversion the VM need to be turned off)

0 Kudos
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok i understand you will change the HyperV VM to VMWare Esxi VM?
And also no Downtime...
Little Tricky
These i haven't before.

Is this an AD-Server with Fully Domain Installations?

0 Kudos
PhSLU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AD-Server ? you mean Domain Controller : no it is not.  (but yes it is joined to an AD) 

0 Kudos
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok - No Domain Controler (But joined to Domain) - as an Fileserver or else...

On my fast internet Search i found an option that you can be tested.

Need Search on "How to convert a Hyper-V VM to run on vSphere" (Result by altaro)
This is a Way from HyperV to ESXi (i Think this is your Destination)

Up on Today i not know any other Ways. From Hyper V to ESXi i haven't before.

0 Kudos
PhSLU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the suggestion, but we think we want to use VMware Converter as P2V ... we just need a way to understand why it's complaining about VSS Snapshot and how to solve it.

Too bad VMware has ended support for this tool.

Any body else has useful suggestion ? 

0 Kudos
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can Test with:

StarWind - Free Software - V2V Converter / P2V Migrator
P2V Migrator is a free software for cloning and transforming VMs from one format to another, as well as converting physical machines into virtual ones. It is utilized when migration or Hypervisor Switch is required. Compared to the typical converters built into hypervisors, StarWind V2V Converter / P2V Migrator offers bi-directional conversion between all the major VM formats: VMDK, VHD/VHDX (Windows Repair Mode aware), QCOW2, and StarWind native IMG.
© 2022 StarWind Software Inc.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

this is just about one 80gb disk - with 80 gb downtime is comparable to a coffee-break.
Why dont you simply use dd or ddrescue inside a VM or use Starwind v2vconverter - if that works with bitlocker.

0 Kudos
PhSLU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We will  be able to remove bitlocker.

This is a test VMs, some are much larger. I would rather find a reliable solution with converter... but apparently this will not be possible.

Too bad VMware is not supporting this tool anymore.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> The VSS snapshots cannot be stored because there is not enough space on the source.

This error message means exactly what it says: not enough free space on the source.
If you want to import C: with the Windows-partition and you dont have a few GB of free space you will get it.
Sometimes it helps to defragment first.
It always helps to clean trashbin and run a checkdisk.

Ulli

0 Kudos
PhSLU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for you input.

The C: has plenty of space, but we suspect that is due to the size of the other partitions .... These are the default size, and we have no real way to resize.

0 Kudos