VMware Cloud Community
PJRComputerSolu
Contributor
Contributor

The Best Way to Configure Multiple Ethernet Ports on a VM

Hi All,

I have an OId WindowsXP Machine which has 5 Dedicated Network Connections on a number of NIC Cards & one Internal Ethernet Connection. These Network Connections have Dedicated assigned IP Address's...The WindowsXP PC is now showing it's age & I need to Migrate it to a VM, as I need to run some dedicated Software, which will only Run on XP.

I have Built a Windows 7 Pro Machine, with the Right Number of Network Ports Installed with Dedicated NIC's & a one Internal Ethernet Connection.

My Question is hopefully Simple to Answer!!! What is the Best Way to make Sure that the Original IP Address's are retained, Do I Configure the New Physical NIC's on the Windows 7 PC to the OLD WindowsXP IP Address's & let the Virtual NIC's just Tunnel through to these NIC's??

I have used the Latest VM Standalone Converter to "Clone" the WindowsXP Machine & It has correctly Identified All the NIC's required, So I have ATM just left the settings in "Bridged" for the 5 Ethernet Ports, Is this the Correct setting?

Thanks for any TIPS or Suggestions that someone could provide....

0 Kudos
1 Reply
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

It would be better to ask this question in the Workstation forum.

At a first glance, this seems correct to me, but it probably depends on the requirements of the whole environment - why are these 5 static IPs, i.e. who communicates with them; are there any other requirements (like MAC address filters), etc..

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos