VMware Cloud Community
jwmarrott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sysprep Location

I am running vmware converter from a remote machine. I wish to rename and generate a new SID for the converted machine. I have downloaded the XP SP2 sysprep. Should the sysprep files be located on the system to be converted or on the remote vmware converter manchine? My hunch is they should be on the system to be converted.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You must ensure you have the matching version of sysprep in relation to your servicepack level. After the machine powers on, you need to let it complete sysprep and reboot it. The read errors will show on a successful sysprep. What you want to look for are errors such as incorrect version or sysprep.exe not found.

An idea would be to not install tools and to not auto-power it on after converter completes. Power cycle the VM and then after sysprep completes, install tools. (you could even disable the NIC before powering on the VM for the 1st time).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jwmarrott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Part of the reason I am asking is I tried to convert a system and have the name changes with sysprep, but the sysprep didn't work and it retained the name creating duplicate names on the network. In the logs I did find one interesting thing. There are no copy errors for sysprep, but it claims it can't read the sysprep files. The logs show: Read failed, error = 2. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You must ensure you have the matching version of sysprep in relation to your servicepack level. After the machine powers on, you need to let it complete sysprep and reboot it. The read errors will show on a successful sysprep. What you want to look for are errors such as incorrect version or sysprep.exe not found.

An idea would be to not install tools and to not auto-power it on after converter completes. Power cycle the VM and then after sysprep completes, install tools. (you could even disable the NIC before powering on the VM for the 1st time).

0 Kudos
charvoworld
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

Download sysprep sp3 deploy.cab file which support sp1 sp2 and sp3 too.http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=11282

i have list of steps for customize sysprep ...hope it will be helpfull for you charvo cloud: Vmware view Sysprep customization steps

0 Kudos