VMware Cloud Community
iwannabfishn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Synchronize changes after cloning

I just need to make sure I understand something. I need to move a VMware esxi 5.5 virtual machine to another server. I am trying to do it with minimal downtime and lost of information. I am trying to run the converter hot as a local machine conversion to the new server. The problem is that the conversion takes about 10hrs. I don't want to loose that much data. I noticed there is an option to Synchronize changes immediately after cloning. This only takes about 5 minutes. I am assuming that this is just copying the changes since the conversion started (10 hours worth). Is this accurate? If so, I would only risk loosing 5 minutes, not 10 hrs. Any help or explanation would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, this is correct. In addition you have the option to stop some services on the source before the synchronization step (e. g. a database server) so no data loss occurs, only downtime.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, this is correct. In addition you have the option to stop some services on the source before the synchronization step (e. g. a database server) so no data loss occurs, only downtime.

Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did not know that. Even better. Thanks!

0 Kudos